point_spotlight Color input not working...

Ok. Can anyone show me how to change the color of a point_spotlight via a func_button? I have been fiddling with the Color input for about an hour now, and nothing seems to work. I have used the 3 byte format for RGB, I have used RGBA, and RBGI for lights. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, works. Can anyone help me figure out why the Color input isnt working? I have Render Mode set to Normal also.

Are you sure that the game is running to current version of the map? Often i find that it doesn’t work, So restart hammer and re-save the map, Getting rid of the errors and run it

Yes. I deleted the BSP many times to make sure that Hammer was saving the final copy. I can change the color via the Properties menu, but not via func_buttons.

are you changing the brightness?

[editline]04:51PM[/editline]

And have you checked the flags

No Dynamic light is Unchecked, Start on is checked. Here is the properties:

Render FX: Normal
Render Mode: Normal
FX Amount 255
Color 255 255 255 (default… I am trying to change it to various colors using butons and timers)
Disable Receiving Shadows No
Minimum DX level: Default
Maximum DX Level: Default
Spotlight Length 500
Spotlight Width 50
HDR Color Scale 1.0

Input is:
Floorlight_25b > OnPressed > Color > 255 0 0> 0.00 > No

Edit:
No… the color isnt changing at all. it just stays the same.

Well there is your problem, There is no “Color” reference to my knowledge

Looks for one that says brightness, If there isnt one, Then make two lights of different colors, Then when a button is pressed, Disable one and enable another

Weird… there is a Color option in the drop down menu for the inputs… oh well, I guess i cant do it then. no way in HELL am i using 90 point_spotlights and coding them all…

i dont know any other way to change the brightness

[editline]05:25PM[/editline]

Maybe someone else does

im not trying to change the brightness… im trying to change the Color.

The brightness is the color

Brightness is brightness… color is color. Red is not a brightness. Red is a color. if you are talking about how bright the color Red is, then that is called a Shade, not a brightness. Regardless, Thank you for trying to help.

No, brightness is infact colour, it’s the way the source engine handles light entities.

Ok. so I want red. Explain to me how i would get the “Brightness” of a light to become Red.

Um, 255 0 0? I dunno whether the total brightness is also there, but try either what I said or 255 0 0 200.

Maybe it won’t work because the colour input doesn’t, I don’t know.

Mess with the numbers is all i can think of, last number is brightness though.

Brightness is what sets the colour and intensity of the light.

R+G+B + Brightness level

yeah i spent an hour fiddling with the numbers… and finally someone that i don’t have to explain what the hell Brightness is. People need to learn the English vocabulary from what it seems. Red Green Blue is not a BRIGHTNESS! Glad to see that so far you actually understand that.

For future idiots, Alpha would be considered a “Brightness” and in the case of lighting, you would use the RGBA format or the RGBI format where “I” is the intensity.

And since people freaking worship the wiki, here is a page to prove all of the posters so far wrong, with the exception of Terragen. EDIT: and Yadda… didnt see his post.

Brightness is: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightness)
an attribute of visual perception in which a source appears to be radiating or reflecting light. In other words, brightness is the perception elicited by the luminance of a visual target. This is a subjective attribute/property of an object being observed.

COLOR IS: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color)
Color or colour (see spelling differences) is the visual perceptual property corresponding in humans to the categories called red, yellow, blue and others. Color derives from the spectrum of light (distribution of light energy versus wavelength) interacting in the eye with the spectral sensitivities of the light receptors. Color categories and physical specifications of color are also associated with objects, materials, light sources, etc., based on their physical properties such as light absorption, reflection, or emission spectra. By defining a color space, colors can be identified numerically by their coordinates.

NOW, stop telling me I am wrong. I am not.

point_spotlight only has color.

I don’t know why you guys are telling him to use brightness for it, unless you are thinking about light_spot, which is a completely different entity.

SeveredSkull:
Try turning off the point_spotlight and turning it back on, that does it for me.

SWEET! wouldn’t have thought of that. Thank you very much… kinda sucks though cuz I already deleted all my buttons for it XD

Oh well… here goes another half hour remaking them :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to bump this thread but you’re a real hero.

I’m working on a map and couldn’t get this to work until I read this thread.

Thanks Firegod!