So the current publicly available portal gun is pretty glitchy, and I aim to fix that.
A few questions:
- How does Valve make two different parts of the map (seem) attached?
- How can I allow a player to walk through a portal with a brush behind it without noclipping them?
- Is there a way to create a func_areaportal ingame?
- How would bullets be allowed to pass through portals with the same data?
- How can a player pass through a little bit at a time rather than all at once?
What I’ve gathered so far:
- Portals are inversely symmetrical across their local x-axis.
- render.RenderView() can be used with stencils to create the visual effect of a portal, but the image seems to have increased contrast in the current example.
- The current transition between portals is far from seemless. Because it uses noclip, velocity transfers are awful.
- Props go through nicely, but they are nocollided to the world when they go through the portal and fall through the world.
- Roof and floor portals don’t work because when you noclip you stop moving, so as you noclip into it you just float above it.
How would you go about doing this?
Can you answer any of the above questions?
There’s little to no documentation on how the portal gun works in the source engine available on the internet.
I’m sure you’ve all got your ideas on the behind-the-scenes of the portal gun. Please voice them here. I’m just about stumped.