Porting High poly model to Source

Hi, so I want to port this model: http://kitmartin.deviantart.com/art/RE-2-Claire-Redfield-REMAKE-UPDATED-413727591?q=gallery%3AXnalara-Customized%2F46271107&qo=36
to source but I get that annoying Short Conversion out of range error, I tried to use the optimize modifier on 3ds max but it still is 39k polys, I don’t know what to do, and I dunno how to
reduce polygon count other than that, any help apreciated.

PS.: I heard about some FakeFactory compiler but I couldn’t find a working link, if someone has a working link or the compiler itself on the HD could you pass it to me?

Well. it takes a lot of work to port it into Source.

Not necessarily. Just dropping an item into source can under an hour – it just depends on what all you’re trying to do, what effort you put into it, etc.

As for FakeFactory, I wouldn’t suggest referencing anything by him. He’s done good work, but the polycount in his models is ridiculous and his texture sizes are unnecessary. Optimization matters just as much as the quality the end product has. There’s a reason games can’t just drop in models with ridiculous polycounts and a reason we have all these shaders such as normal maps to make up for it.

Your best bet is to just do some quick, manual optimization. If she’s quadrified and has some decent topology, all you really need to do is go through and remove certain unnecessary edgeloops and such until the polycount is more reasonable. Small details don’t matter if the player isn’t going to pay attention to them, and if they do matter then the normal map can make up for it. Ideally, she can probably be simplified down to 10-15k polys maximum, but if you use LoD and such, you should be fine with 20-25k though that model should be simple enough to avoid needing that many.

I did all that I could to lower her polycount but I can’t do anything (as far as my knowledge goes) delete polygon without ending up with a model full of “holes”, the only thing I can imagine is deleting some buttons that she has around some parts of her clothes but that woulbe like 1k of polygons, Im really clueless about how could I lower her polycount, and those guys on xnalara really don’t give much of a shit about polycount as xnalara don’t have as engine restrictions as source.

The high polycount areas are the head, arms, and legs, so I think that makes things harder.

Also another question when I opened again the file to see what I could do, I noticed that when i moved a bone the mesh wouldn’t move, even if its already skinned:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/13/ph1v.png

I don’t remember doing anything beyond adding a optimizer modifier; I’ve checked the envelopes and it is ok.

I’m not talking about deleting polygons, I’m talking about reducing the edges to reduce the polycount. If you’re using 3ds max, there’s a method you can use to make things easier, which us backspace or ctrl+backspace. If you create a cylinder with 24 sides and convert it to an editable poly, you can select every other edge along the rounded part of the cylinder. If you use ctrl+backspace with these selected, it’d remove the edges and reconnect the faces resulting in a cylinder with 12 sides. You can also use welds, collapse, and so on to help clean up certain vertices.

Edit (to counter your edit):

The optimize modifier reduces the polycount through a cheesy script that could result in the skin becoming erroneous. The skin modifier may be invalid after using the optimize modifier, or you may have unchecked “Always Deform.”

Well, but if I convert to Editable Poly I’ll lose all my skinning, right?

According to you, you may have already lost it, though you may want to redo most of it if it’s going to be halved in polycount anyway.

Aside from that, that was just an example. If you want to experiment with how it works, you can give it a go with the cheesy method I explained. I didn’t mean for you to butcher your model right a way. I just prefer working with an editable poly over an editable mesh, but that may be my personal opinion. If you wish to convert a skinned model, you can copy the original, convert it, and copy the skin modifier from the editable mesh to the new editable poly, though it won’t make much of a difference if your skin modifier is now obsolete anyway.

It’s not obsolete, it still there she’s still skinned; oh and that ctrl+backspace simply didn’t do anything, I may have done something wron but I think is unlikely.

Edit:
Hum for some reason the mesh now deforms (the option was checked before) but now the skin is fucked up, even the backup that I made before using optimize, but I could import the skinned model from the flexes file whom works just fine. But really, 40k polys is THAT much? I remember to have converted even higher poly models and I didn’t run into any problems related to polycount.

Edit2:
After a bit of work I got 27k polys, can I compile it without problem?

hello trololguy,

I would suggest trying out meshlab: http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/
its free and its a really good program. here is a little tutorial to reduce polycount:

1. In meshlab import your mesh; file -> import mesh (ctrl + i) supports .obj
  2. In the upper mennu go to; filters -> remeshing, simplification and reconstruction -> quadric edge collapse decimation
  3. In the new menu set Target number of faces to what you want. Keep the rest for what it is and hit apply.
  4. if the results are bad try out the number of settings you have by checking the boxes. If you hover your mouse above it, it will show a description of what it does.

as for polygon limit, this is from valve developer wiki:

I hope this works for you and good luck :wink:

Thanks for the kindly reply Stefan, I’ll certainly try :wink:

You can always use DMX as the raw model format before compiling to source as far as I know it supports up to 60k polygons even more if you subdivide the mesh.

Not sure how gmod would handle those though I’ve only tested this for the SourceFilmmaker

I don’t know why it works but it works: right click your skin modifier (it’s still on top of your stack, right? Cause if it’s not you likely fucked up) select cut, collapse your stack, convert to editable poly (if it’s already an editable poly convert to editable mesh and back to editable poly), paste the skin modifier back in.

Pro tip: never modify the editable poly/mesh of an already skinned character, add an edit poly/mesh modifier under the skin modifier and use that one instead

As for the model… people with no regards for optimization make me cry. Source limitations or not that is a ridiculous polycount and with proper optimization you could have no quality loss with one third the polycount, and that’s being generous

Yeah thanks for your replies with 27k polygons I could convert her just fine, but the bone on her jaw keep “falling” on hlmv even if I didn’t include the bone on the phymodel, why the hell this happens?

Great thread … thanks for the info.
Bookmarked

Source film maker supports 300k+ polygons on it’s compilier, however I don’t think the models are compatible with gmod. Portal 2’s compiler however, supports a larger amount of polygons, (I’ve gotten 24k tri meshes working) and garrysmod supports it.

Okay now I have the following problem AFTER compiling, when exporting a divided part of the mesh no matter how many times I texturize the mesh part anywhere on max it is checkered on hlmv,e of them always keep checkered so I need to texture element per element than export them individualy so it half-works but the problem is that doing this I can’t use the translucency trick, the clone mesh apply different copies of the same texture on the two cloned meshes, put na $translucent on one .vmt and $alphatest on the other, as on one the texture is Always checkered, and the other the the texture generate blank lines on the mesh as if the UV where not corretly applied, even if is the right texture on the right mesh, sorry for the long read im not im my PC and im my home the internet is down, so I can’t post pictures right now.