Porting Parts of GTA: Vice City to Source

I urgently need help porting certain parts of GTA: Vice City to Source. To be more specific, I need help taking parts of the map (The Malibu Club, at the moment, although I am going to port more) and taking that and porting it as a static prop to Source as a reference to my brushwork in Hammer. I know this is possible because I remember a GTA IV mod that utilized some sort of method of porting parts of Vice City into GTA IV’s engine (I am sorry, I am not sure what the name of it is). It showed different parts of Vice City including Tommy Vercetti’s mansion, which I am also going to port, and the airport. I really am not worried about the models being UV mapped (if I am using the correct terminology); I am just trying to get the parts of the maps as models for references. Also, I do not have one of the more expensive modeling programs, so I would really appreciate it if you could help me by way of one of the open-source modeling programs (XSI, Blender, etc).

So, can you guys help? I would really appreciate it.

This goes in requests.

But it seems like a good project, so good luck.

Is it? I mean, I am not really requesting for the models to be done by someone else as much as I am requesting for help so I can make the models myself. Nonetheless, if that still is the case, then, mods, please move this thread.

I considered the scope of this project a while ago, albeit with GTA: San Andreas. It’s on the same engine as Vice City, so I’m assuming that the maps are set up the same:

Everything in a GTA:SA/Vice City map is an object. Everything! Streets, buildings, trees, furniture, walls…San Andreas and Vice City have no brushes in sight. Every “object” functions similar to a static prop in Hammer, with its own collision model. The entire layouts of SA/VC are split up into sections about 500m by 500m, and the map files for these sections are simply small text files that place certain objects at certain coordinates.

Porting parts of the city could be either very quick and easy or excruciatingly painstaking. It all depends the size of the objects you’re trying to port, and how many of them there are. CJ’s house in SA, for example, is all one object - while SA’s skate park is made of dozens. These objects would have to be ported as static props with complex collision models; a process that would take a while for many objects.

If someone were able to set up a macro/batch system of converting VC/SA’s .dff objects and .txd textures into .vmt and .vtf materials, the entire maps of Vice City and San Andreas could be completely reconstructed and ready to play within seconds. However, such a system would take far too long to set up to be worthwhile.

There are a few programs you’ll want to look into for porting VC/SA objects:
[ul]
[li]MEd, a map editor/browser for any game on the GTA3 engine
[/li][li]IMG Tool, for extracting the objects once you’ve identified which ones you need
[/li][li]TXD Workshop, for extracting the proper textures
[/li][/ul]
Once you have the right .dff, you’d have to import it into a 3D modeling program such as Blender with some GTAForums community scripts or 3DS Max with kam’s GTA scripts. From there on, it’d just be like any other model compile.

That was very helpful! Thanks! :smile:

To be honest you are better off porting from GTA IV

San andreas has pretty low res models…

But good luck with it none the less.

Well, I am not using the models for use in the map; I am using them for references for brushwork. I am actually going to add more detail to it when I make the map, of course, but I want to keep everything to-scale to the actual buildings.

[editline]02:54PM[/editline]

I’ve ran into a pretty large roadblock here. I can export the .dff files from the .img archive easily, but I can not find the import/export .dff script for Blender. I’ve been checking several forums and the link to every one is broken. If anyone just happens to have that script, I would be very thankful.

[editline]03:11PM[/editline]

Never mind, I found it.