Possible fix for amd users

i was having the same problems as all the amd users that are having problems what i did was i went to amd’s website downloaded the auto detect too to download my drivers downloaded the updated version of the drivers and CCC and now it work good, Please if this fix’s your problem as a amd user Let me know so i can make a post and maby a better guide to fix it so all of our amd family can play

Update- Have tried downgrading now to 12.6 still crashing 13.9 worked longer…, no im going to try to disable the audio driver on the amd video card to see if that works, from what i know nvidia cards dont have audio out so maby that could be a problem, i will update if it works or not.

May I ask what settings you are playing on? If you are high try setting the bar to the middle or even minimum. That will probably trigger crashes.

That was the first thing I tried, it still doesn’t work :confused:

I’m glad i have nvidia.

when i updated i was on low could play a little no diff from high or low still crash the same in about the same time now im going throuhg previous Driver if i find one that work ill let you guys know i was talking to a guy in game that said to put them on high and it will work find and he was on CCC 12.6 so im downgrading now to CCC 12.6 and putting on high setting ill keep you all updated once i find a error and it does seem to be a grass crash somthing about null texture ill post the report in a few, if anyone else got information on this crash if they got it to work or not dont be shy =D

No. Did not work. The problem is with a conflict resulting from the most recent terrain update, because I had been playing flawlessly prior to this for a month, with a previous AMD driver set.

I did as you did today, have an AMD 5700 Series card with the most recent 13-9_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql driver set, and obtaining those newest drivers didn’t even resolve it. “It” being that the Unity Engine fails with AMD drivers during new terrain loading.

thanks yeah its somthing with the terrain null grass or somthing i got a log file, end of log shows its crashing on that. sorry all i tried for almost 14 hours to get this game working for us but i am taped out.

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at UnityEngine.Terrain.SampleHeight (Vector3 worldPosition) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FPGrassPatch.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Terrain.SampleHeight (Vector3 worldPosition) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

What browser are you using? I am running the latest drivers for a 6950 card. Crash within seconds on Chrome but never crash on Firefox.

Guys, as stated in the bug report by numerous users the driver version you are using makes no difference at all. The reason some players, like PrimusPalus, are able to play the game without any crashes is probably because they are playing at the highest game settings. This has been reported to prevent the crashes.

Everyone sporting a powerful enough AMD chip (e.g. the 6950) probably never noticed any major issue because they play on the highest settings, anyway.

im running the 6990 and still crashing on high settings =|(its due to the grass), to be specific XFX Radeon™ HD 6990 Dual GPU graphics card. With 4 GB GDDR5 high-speed memory, this fastest-card-on-the-planet (token right from there website, amazon is selling it for almost 1100 usd, i paid 850 usd)

I am running on full settings… but this is a Unity game. I’ve had a lot of experience helping people troubleshoot problems with it. 90% of the time changing browsers resolved it. One game I myself had to use 4 differrent browsers to get it to work after each major update didn’t work on the previous browser.

I feel bad for the guy above me that paid $500 more than he should have on that card. I could crossfire two7950’s and get it for less than $400. That’s crazy.

Anyway, it would help if you guys listed the browser and drivers version you’re using when crashing.

Different browsers don’t have any effect on these crashes (see the linked bug report and many other threads on this forum for reference).

Could you try something for me, please? Set your settings to low (slide the bar all the way down) and try to walk a few hundred meters or so in-game (enough so that new player-built structures will render). If I am correct in my assumption your game should crash.

yo

Garry stated in the forum post “Garry - Thanks for Sunday update!” that "It’s the weekend so no-one is in the office. Bill is going to look into it on Monday. We need to get a computer with the same AMD graphics card to see if we can re-create it. "

So hopefully with some luck it’s one of Bills top priorities to fix this grass that he implemented. Thanks for posting the error log hopefully he can look into it and find some sort of fix so we can actually play for longer than 2 minutes haha.

I’ll try that right now. I’ll let you know. But browsers play a LOT when it comes to Unity.

[editline]7th October 2013[/editline]

EDIT:

Ok, tried dropping my “Awesome” meter down to nothing. On Firefox… I didn’t get a single disconnect at all.