Possible to assign an existing NPC animation to my model or vice versa?

Hello, really really new to GMod so apologies in advance if my question is stupid.

I downloaded a few (animation-less) models to play around with, but I’m not entirely sure how to get them to make the ragdoll -> NPC transition. I tried custom coding my own citizen NPC to use the models as a skin but it just puts the model in a T-pose. I then tried using the Model Manipulator tool to assign the skin to a built-in GMod NPC but that also puts it into a T-pose (it glides around and moves its eyes though!).

My question is if there’s an easy way to assign an existing NPC animation to my models in order for them to walk around and such? Or a way to use my models as a skin for the existing NPCs?

Or if not, is there a tutorial I can follow about creating animations for an existing model? Or decompiling the model and one of the GMod ones and just slapping in the animation code?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks! :smiley:

(Please move this to the appropriate forum if it’s in the wrong place)

If you use the CannonFodder’s StudioCompiler you can give the models citizen animations as long as they use the human skeleton for rigging.

You decompile the model, look in the .qc file under $modelname, add:

$includemodel "models\Humans\female_gestures.mdl"
$includemodel "models\Humans\female_postures.mdl"
$includemodel "models\Humans\female_shared.mdl"
$includemodel "models\Humans\female_ss.mdl"

Or if you want male animations, just replace female with male. Then you recompile the model.

Thanks! Gonna give it a try. :smiley:

you should just make a animation manipulator if you do it can you make a mediafire downlaod link on this thread

I apologise for bumping an old thread, but i thought it unnecessary to create a new one for a similar matter. Is it possible to use the same method as this but use combine animations?