Possible to generate a model based off of an image?

So, let me start out by saying that I know nothing of modelling, I do programming and I’ve barely ever touched a modelling program. Alright, so with that said, I want to know if it’s possible to generate or quickly create a model based off of a 2D image. Now, please ignore the fact that I haven’t touched any kind of modelling software before, this is also just a “What if” kind of deal.

To make this a bit easier to understand, I’ll link an image.

Alright, so what I would like, is a 3D model of that where the X and Y dimensions fits it perfectly, and then have the Z dimension go back. So if I were to throw this into an orthographical viewport, I would not be able to see the Z axis. Is there any way to quickly do this? Thanks :slight_smile:

I could live trace this in illustrator so its vector then extrude in 3ds max

Its what we do with logos at work

you could generate a 3d version of this but it would still be flat, cardboard. only way your going to get a real 3d model out of something is by sculpting it or modeling it by hand, its not a quick job time needs to be put into it, look up some tutorials on YT seeing those will basically give you a general idea on the workflow thats put into doing this.

It doesn’t matter if it’s technically flat or not, you wouldn’t be able to see the Z axis in an orthographical view anyway :slight_smile:

What kind of software would one use to do this? 3DS Max?

Yes 3ds max, XSI, maya,blender(I believe) all support splines in which you could trace the object mootybog knows what hes talking about on the matter though so ill let him explain that process.

what about Zbrush

Either Trace it with splines or make a vector of it in illustrator either manually or w/ live-trace. Save that out and import into 3ds max. So take your splines and put a shell modifier on them and you’re done. you might have to do a couple booleans or something idk but that’s the basic idea of how to do it easiest.

Thanks for the help guys, you’ve been super helpful :slight_smile:

Would you say that a rookie like me would be able to learn this within a weeks time?

Lol yeah Plasmid I do it everyday at work with logos for corporate jobs

Doom did you want it to be just a flat plane or have some depth to it?

Also is the image vector or high quality? I could do it and show you how I did do it?

Whether or not it’s flat really doesn’t matter. As I mentioned, you’ll only be able to see the front, so it doesn’t matter :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I don’t know what image vector is, could you elaborate?

Vector is … Im not sure what the proper definition is
But
It never loses quality so you can size up to whatever size you want, Its also pure colour

send me a link to the full image and ill do it now if you want, im at work now so i could do it in between jobs

Oh yeah, I know what you’re talking about now :slight_smile:

It would have to be a vector image, yes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3t6qg10mnpjw5i/no_legs_l1.png - Thanks a ton. I would use this for a lot more than one image, so I’d have to learn how to do this myself, but it would be nice with a sample :slight_smile:

This is the best I could do with the image quality and not getting caught by the boss lol

http://filesmelt.com/dl/ssss4.jpg

Would it be easier with an alpha channel?

i could put a flat diffuse texture straight on top of it to give it more detail

Well, the hole reasion why I’d like a model is collision detection. Models can give pixel perfect collision boxes, so the shape really has to fit the image perfectly.

I’m telling you do the method I outlined and it will be perfect.

This reminds me of a test I did a long time ago for a very cheap&dirty way of doing this using just image&alpha. Basically I took a stack of 64 square planes that were evenly spaced with the same texture to create “thickness”:

Of course you would have to make your own proper collision model and whatnot. Also you have to use $alphatest for the vmt or else you get sorting errors.

Oh god this is an incredibly inefficient and backwards way to do what you want to do.

ok shit i’m gonna jus go ahead and show you how to do this and upload the files because this is super simple. gimme a bit to do it and get pics n shit.

[editline]20th January 2013[/editline]
oh it was really big click for the full size
[img_thumb]http://filesmelt.com/dl/resized.gif[/img_thumb]

I think Snoop Doggy Dog won