This is my first video of my GMod contraption - which isn’t my first.
It’s still a work in progress and I hope I manage to make a nice look to it.
As you might notice, the video lags a bit (idk what happened during the record).
I also want to mention, that it really has A LOT of weight in front, but it just has teh powar inside!
And yes, I had to weld latch the engine-wheels for make it stop…
Timing with beacon sensor + E2.
Hope you like it. Enjoy.
Also, I don’t notice anyone talking about this and its slightly off topic, but does anyone use phys_maxvelocity and phys_maxangularvelocity on their servers? Or, do people leave it at the default generally? I’m just curious, because i like to increase it in singleplayer to have faster helicopter blades. But it has this weird effect and doesn’t just increase the speed limit per say, it actually increases the speed of everything. It’s like a multiplier. Maybe i should make a thread concerning this or search it. XD sorry!
I made a small 4 cylinder hydraulic engine with the help of satri ali a very long time back. The problem with hydraulics is that to get the torque that you need you have to over stretch the hydraulics, this puts strain on the physics of gmod so you get an engine or vehicle that shakes and moves of its own accord. However, you can have an ulimited amount of torque in theory from an engine like this so if you can mount it so its reasonably stable then its perfect for low speed grunt which you can gear up to make it fast. the more hydraulics you use the more stable it will be from my experience. i would try and work on a straight 6 version but i don’t really play gmod all that much.
To add on to this (and not to thread-jack), I recently posted a video of a very heavy vehicle being powered by a V4 hydraulic engine.
The way I set up the hydraulics, the length was not stretched all to much (no more than +50 either way). In this video, you can see that the engine doesn’t do any violent shaking whatsoever, just some torquing at start-up.
I got an insane amount of torque out of the engine by
having fairly tuned timing (always helps)
making sure my firing order was balanced in all directions (forward and back AND left and right)
modifying the damping and constant values of the hydraulics (setting the damping to 0 should produce the most torque after modifying the constant). I think I set mine up so that the expression would subtract from the constant the higher the RPM, giving me the ideal RPM for the engine.
I hope someone can gather something from the above. Good luck, and happy building!
Where X is max length of the stroke, Y min length and Rot is the angle of rotation so that the Hydraulic (H1 in this case) is timed correctly. I cant seem to get a stable RPM, even if I use up to 4 hydraulics on each side of the wheel I’m turning…