Pre-Release Development

I’m a developer looking to get a head start on development in Source 2, however, I don’t have a VR headset and I’m not interested in buying HL:A just for the workshop tools. Are there any plans to release some sort of standalone Source 2 SDK before S&Box is released, or will I have to wait?

1 Like

We don’t know anything about SDK release

1 Like

SteamVR is free and you can open the tools without VR headsets.

Workshop > Create/Modify an Enviorment > Create a new Addon > Show launch command line > remove -vr and -toolsvr and just Windows + r it.

6 Likes

As Kaesar said but slightly more detailed:

You can use SteamVR to get the Source 2 Workshop tools.

Once installed open SteamVR, Click on the SteamVR menu to the top left of the small SteamVR status window, then Workshop > Create/Modify an Environment and create a new environment. Click this newly created addon and create a desktop shortcut with it.

Right-click the shortcut and in the target field, paste in the launch parameters shown in the SteamVR app, but remove -vr and -toolsvr

Before running the shortcut, ensure SteamVR is already running or you will get an error.

1 Like

I’ve read that Valve will release the Source 2 engine for free for the public, except they will take a share on commercial products. I don’t know if it’s true or not, or it was true and they had a change of mind, but I do hope that they release the Source 2 engine. It would be nice working on a “new”, “fresh” engine and learn it in depth.

1 Like

They actually said source 2 would be free as long as your game releases on steam alongside any other platform you want to release it. They said this back on 2017 and planned to release source 2 then but 3 years later and only garry has access to it so i guess its not ready or maybe its not their focus at the moment.

1 Like

This, together with how some of the tools that shipped with Alyx’s Workshop tools lack loads of functionality that can be seen in Garry’s recent screenshots, points to either the tools in their entirety not being ready for public release in the eyes of valve, or them not wanting to give too much freedom to modders before having the time to iron out how licensing will work specifically… or both!

2 Likes

I watched a video that said quite a lot of people are using HL:A’s tools and then just gonna port them over. So to be honest is most likely worth it

2 Likes

Do you know if you can make a non-VR game using the SteamVR workshop tools? If so, any tutorial I can follow? Everything seems to point towards HL:A tools. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

No probably not, I’m guessing facepunch emailed valve. Since garrysmod was a huge reason people got steam alone I can see why they let facepunch have it. If you do not want to buy HL:A then you should just use steamVR is has some of the tools. Also they don’t give access to SDK Valve does.