Problem with Crowbar compiler

I decompiled m_anm.mdl with crowbar, made some modifications and then tried to recompile it but keep getting this message:


 ERROR: c:\users\myname\desktop\bbbbbb - copia\decompiled 0.38\m_anm.qc(15080): - Load_Source( m_anm_anims\zombie_attack_01_base_layer.smd ) - overflowed g_numsources.ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'm_anm.mdl'


I know that it means it’s too many animations to compile, but looking at models with modified m_anm animations, like those of CaptainBigButt, he was able to compile it somehow, but when I tried to decompile one of his mdl and recompile it, same message appeared and I was unable to recompile it.
How did he compile it in the first place? It’s been about 2 weeks since the problem first started and I’ve reached a wall, I tried everything, help a brother out.

You can get the animation source files here

http://source.maxofs2d.net/gmod/gm_anim_src.7z

What am I supposed to do with these? I see the qc is CONSIDERABLY shorter, but some animations seem missing, if I include it in the qc, will it work in gmod?

EDIT: These are completely unusable, they look more like examples, and after some research I am pretty sure they are, what’s that supposed to mean? I don’t think that’s what I need.

oops I guess those aren’t

Here’s the full source files I have.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dzoamdmza3xmp3u/gmod_animations_src.zip

Sorry if I seems rude but, what am I supposed to do with these? These are not like anything I’ve ever seen, I need to modify some animation (the crouch idle of all weapons and the sitting of all weapons) then recompile the animations to use in a playermodel.

Oh boy, you’re going to have fun with that.

Anyways, QCi files are basically just qc files, so edit them the same way.

Anyways, go to gm_anims.qci

The stuff you’re going to want to edit is this.

Basically, make a copy of these animations here and edit them. Then reference the them in the animation thing above.

Each Animation is 10 frames.

Each frame represents an aim direction. DR, DC, DL, CR, CC, CL, UR, UC, UL

Adjust as needed (they might be standing but that’s okay it’ll be crouching when compiled)

I cannot believe it, an actual answer! You’re doing god’s work, I’ll try that and see if it compiles.

Did it compile ? I’m curious as I want to modify the m_anm myself and I’m stuck at compiling…

Oh wow my old responses are ass, and I left the thread!

Pretty sure I was never able to compile m_anm.mdl, my problem was that I used the proportion trick and, as it happens, the crouch idle animations would look janky, what I intended to do was decompile m_anm, compensate only the crouch idle animations, and then compile it back to fix the problem.

Not sure what Stiffy was going for but I’m thankful he put up with me, this was probably above what I could understand (and not what I really needed).

Source 1 is ass, crowbar couldn’t compile something as big as m_anm.mdl, nobody knows what compiler valve used to do it but it was probably an in-house one that’s not the studiomdl we got, but if I remember correctly I could’ve fixed it by doing this:

  1. Simply having the sequences after $includemodel would make sure it overrides and use them instead, so I didn’t even need to compile m_anm

  2. Separate m_anm.mdl in 3 parts (ex. m_anm1, m_anm2, m_anm3) and then $includemodel those 3 for the final compile of the model, or for a full m_anm you could keep as a memory I guess

Because source 1 sucks hard, source 2 is where it’s at! I’m glad I don’t have to deal with this shit anymore, now the limit is the sky! And the lack of documentation because of how recent it is… some things never change.

1 Like

Actually, I have tried to recompile the m_anm.mdl directly using the source provided by maxofs2d and it worked.
Though I had to do some modifications in the gm_sequences.qci.
I commented out 6 animation that were about crouching with a 30cal in hand, I’ve never seen this animation actually used in gmod so I permitted myself to comment it out.

Then I recompiled a playermodel with that new m_anm.mdl and it worked fine.

I didn’t make any actual edits of the animations because editing these is a pain, Blender smd importer imports skeletons in a way that you can’t do much about them, bones are tiny and (kinda) displaced.

I’ll try and edit one animation someday but yeah, at least it IS possible (yay).

Yeah Max’s way is certainly more complex and professional but it boils down to method n° 2
image
Although he separated them accordingly and, between you and me, these QCI files are almost overengineered, Max really had a way with Source, a lot of the stuff he used for these QCIs have barely any documentation, if any,


This single screenshot contains so much stuff that even to this day it makes my head woozy.