Problem writing an entity - Can't get it to activate

I have an entity I’m creating and for the life of me I can’t get the function ENT:Use to fire. In addition, i’m very confused as to what the actual arguments to the ENT:Use function are. The garrysmod wiki states that

>ENT:Use( Entity activator, Entity caller, number useType, number value )

However, I’ve been looking at examples and have seen
function ENT:Use( ply, activator )
function ENT:Use( activator )
function ENT:Use( ply )

so i’m not sure what the difference between activator and caller is.

Here is init.lua file in the entity’s folder

AddCSLuaFile( “shared.lua” )
include( “shared.lua” )

function ENT:Initialize()
self:SetModel(“models/…/entityModel.mdl”)
self:PhysicsInit( SOLID_VPHYSICS )
self:SetMoveType( MOVETYPE_VPHYSICS )
self:SetSolid( SOLID_VPHYSICS )
self:SetUseType( SIMPLE_USE )
self:DropToFloor()

local phys = self:GetPhysicsObject()
if phys:IsValid() then
	phys:EnableMotion( false )
	phys:Wake()
end

end

function ENT:Use( ply, activator )
DarkRP.notify( ply, 1, 4, “You have clicked the entity. Good Job!” )
end

function EntityNameSpawn()
local eSpawn = entityName.config.mapspawn[ game.GetMap() ]

for k, v in pairs( eSpawn ) do
	local e = ents.Create( "entityName" )
	e:SetPos( v.pos )
	e:SetAngles( v.ang )
	e:SetMoveType( MOVETYPE_NONE )
	e:Spawn()
end

end

hook.Add( “InitPostEntity”, “entityName”, EntityNameSpawn)

The hook works correctly and the entity is spawned in the correct location and is unmovable as it should be. However, pressing ‘e’ on the entity does nothing. Am I missing something?

I’ve been using dkoz’s entities on github (https://github.com/dkoz) as basic templates to figure out how to actually write them.

EDIT: In addition to this file, there is also an shared.lua in the same entity folder, and a cl_entityName.lua and sh_entityName.lua in a module folder, and then a entityName_settings.lua in the darkrp_config folder. I didn’t think those are involved in the problem, but I can post them if necessary

Not sure off the top of my head but try looking at this thread here, http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1012433

Also try adding e:Activate() right after e:Spawn().

I put e:Activate() in the EntityNameSpawn function just after e:Spawn(), but it’s still not working correctly. I tried putting different sorts of debug messages in the Use function:

    Msg("Active : "..activator:GetName().."

");
print(“Success!!!”)
activator:SetDarkRPVar( “money”, 500 )

but i’m not getting any sort of console message, nor is my money being set to 500

I also tried changing the model to see if the model was the issue, but it didn’t have any affect.

EDIT: The guy running the server just messaged me and told me it was working now. I’ll update and close the thread tomorrow when I find out why it started working for anyone that has this problem in the future

EDIT: He doesn’t know -_-