Prop buoyancy?

Hey, so iv’e noticed there have been changes to buoyancy in GM13… I cant get anything to float more than a few hundred weight… even with several different buoyancy tools… Where I remember GM12 having buoyancy in percentage relative to the weight of the prop (heavier objects with buoyancy will lift other heavy objects etc)

Recently iv’e not been able to get much more than a single prop weighing about 200 to float… and even putting the weight of it up then 100% buoyancy it still wont lift much, in fact, over a few hundred weight and the prop sinks from its own mass… this has made ship building exceedingly difficult…

Could anyone explain the changes in buoyancy between GM12 and GM13?
And if anyone has a fix/workaround more than “weld a few hundred barrels together” that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You could try a buoyancy tool. Here’s the one I use, but there’s many others that do the same thing.

Thanks, but i already tried that one, same problem… And it doesn’t seem to be an addon conflict, as iv’e tried it with only the buoyancy tool, on construct, and couldn’t make even a bathtub float… And iv’e tried it on multiple other buoyancy tools too… Same problem, its really starting to confuse me.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, could you link the weight tool you use?

I use this weight tool.

Ok, tried that one before too, just tried them both at once, only addons enabled in gmod, played on construct, spawned a 2X2X2 cube, 100% buoyancy, set weight to 100, it floats… 200, it floats, but with less force, reset buoyancy and apply it again, same outcome, its as if the buoyancy tool is “stuck” registering the block as a certain weight…

[editline]16th January 2013[/editline]

Well, i just tried this: spawned 1 heap of 1X1X1 blocks with only the addons you linked above installed, on construct, 699 weight floats, 700 weight is neutrally buoyant, 701 weight sinks… all with 100% buoyancy, applied after changing weight.

EDIT 2: actually, due to lack of sleep, and poor testing… after retesting iv’e found this number appears closer to 737 weight for a 1X1X1 cube for neutral buoyancy…

EDIT 3: if someone could spawn a 1X1X1 cube, set weight at 737 with 100% buoyancy, then one at say… 2000 weight and 100% buoyancy and post the results it would be greatly appreciated…

EDIT 4: Ok, i’m just going to go ahead and backup then delete my garrysmod folder, then install those two addons and see how it goes… currently nothing is working… every single attempt has the same outcome.

Ok, running out of ideas here, please, if anyone has any suggestions at all they would be greatly appreciated, as this is starting to really confuse me…
is there some way to run gmod in “safe mode” or maybe disable downloading of subscribed items for a period of time so i can replace my garrysmod folder and only have weight and buoyancy tools installed, as something appears to be conflicting with buoyancy…

EDIT: also, if a moderator could move this thread to a more appropriate board if possible, that would be great… seeing as its kinda changed from talking about in game buoyancy to more of a help thread…

Ok… there HAS been something changed about water between gmod 12 and gmod 13… or, my gmod is damaged, i just turned steam to offline mode, deleted the garrysmod folder, started and closed gmod, installed ONLY the two tools linked above with fresh downloads that i did just earlier with a fresh garrysmod folder… started gmod, went to construct, spawned a 1X1X1 cube, made it float… changed weight to 1000 and it sank… changed weight to 737 and it was neutrally buoyant… this is exactly the issue i was having earlier and is not how gmod 12 worked… please, if anyone could just spawn a 1X1X1 cube and put the weight to 1000 and buoyancy to 100% and tell me if it floats… im getting very frustrated and somewhat desperate…
does gmod 13 buoyancy work off object volume buoyancy percentage as opposed to set weight like it used to?

[editline]17th January 2013[/editline]

ok well… thanks Deprehensio for trying to help… but in the end i just used my minimal lua knowledge to make a hack buoyancy tool which now works just fine, exactly like gmod 12 water did…

I just read the latest replies, and was gonna go do ask you asked, but I see you got a solution. Cool!

I don’t know what changed between 12 and 13, but I’m sure if you wanna find out you can as in the Lua subforum.

Posting what you did to fix it would kinda be nice though…

well, my solution: normal buoyancy tools have clamps on the settings the user can input… i just threw one together without clamps… simple

EDIT: i can add a more detailed explanation if anyone wants it…

Do you mean caps on the values you can use to stop crash exploits? So nothing changed to gm13? Just someone fixed the tool for crash exploit fixes.

btw, don’t remove the clamps for a public server just increase the amounts. As most of them in tools can be used to crashy crash! weight/easy precision/stacker etc etc

Yeah, (i have knowledge in other codes, i know the principals)… i dont go on servers (due to my internet connection speed) and would not use the hacked tool anyway…

The hack i applied both A: does make a difference, where the tool could not apply buoyancy above 100%, it now does (workaround of the tool seeming to not change buoyancy according to prop weight, but what seems to a particular weight around 700)… and B: surprisingly does not cause errors or crash… the hack i applied was a total stab in the dark, i didnt care to learn the maximum applied buoyancy or the like for the source engine, as this fix was a last attempt kind of thing… i put little effort into it… was also mostly an experiment…