Propper collision model problem

I made a window frame for a map I’m working on and it used quite a few brushes, so I thought “why not give propper a try?”.

I got it working and made a glassless window fine. I made my own collision for it using playerclip and it worked fine.

I then tried to make an almost identical glassless window, using an identical method.

After compiling, and putting it into my map, I found that the collision covered the whole thing, making the glass (func_breakable_surf) be protected by the collision.

Any help?

Thanks.

Add in your custom collisions using the clip texture in the Propper .vmf.

That’s what I did.

Show me a picture of the .vmf.

I don’t know, but try changing it to the regular clip texture.

** Executing...
** Command: propper
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam2\steamapps\avwos\half-life 2 episode two\ep2" "c:\program files\steam2\steamapps\avwos\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\windowframe"

Propper 0.22 by crazycarl. Adapted from vbsp.exe by Valve Software. (Jan  4 2010)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam2\steamapps\avwos\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\materials
Loading c:\program files\steam2\steamapps\avwos\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\windowframe.vmf
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 32 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Writing c:\program files\steam2\steamapps\avwos\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\windowframe.bsp
Building reference mesh...
tools/toolsnodraw - Material deemed invisible. No conversion needed.
de_chateau/woodm - LightmappedGeneric
Read successfully
LightmappedGeneric converted to vertexlitgeneric.
metal/citadel_metalwall074a - LightmappedGeneric
Read successfully
LightmappedGeneric converted to vertexlitgeneric.
Building smoothing groups...
Writing c:/propsource\propper/gm_LandoftheDead/window_frame_big_ref.smd
1356 triangles written.
Building physics mesh...
Building smoothing groups...
Writing c:/propsource\propper/gm_LandoftheDead/window_frame_big_phys.smd
1368 triangles written.
Writing c:/propsource\propper/gm_LandoftheDead/window_frame_big.qc
Done.
Compiling the model:
studiomdl.exe -fullcollide -game "c:\program files\steam2\steamapps\avwos\half-life 2 episode two\ep2" "c:/propsource\propper/gm_LandoftheDead/window_frame_big.qc"
----------------------
Studiomdl output proceeds below...

----------------------

----------------------
Studiomdl complete!
8 seconds elapsed

Here’s my compile log. I’m no expert but I’ma guessing this aint good:

studiomdl.exe **-fullcollide** -game "c:\program files\steam2\steamapps\avwos\half-life 2 episode two\ep2" "c:/propsource\propper/gm_LandoftheDead/window_frame_big.qc"

[editline]07:57PM[/editline]

Any help guys?

I’m having a bitch of a time working this out.

Please can someone help.

I really have no idea what the problem is.

Try Func_detailing the real brushwork.

I’ve done that - Hence the custom collision.

You need a custom phymodel for the model. The phymodel should be made as simple as possible. Each rectangular prism thing you use should be assigned to its own smoothing group. Only then will the physics model not cover the whole thing. Try opening the model in HLMV and looking at the collision//physics model to see what it will look like.

Show us what it looks like in the model viewer with the physbox viewer.

[editline]11:23PM[/editline]

In case you can’t see, there’s a red line going through the model; corner to corner.

No one knows how to fix this?

Seriously?

I used propper only once, since I don’t like it, I always use 3ds max.
Why don’t you make it in 3ds max? I mean like you can export brushes from hammer to 3ds max.

It costs money and I wouldn’t know how.

I don’t get it.

I previously made a similar model, one big window and one small, but the large one had the same problem, as I’m having now.

I really don’t understand.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8383/rec02.png

Works fine for me.

I made the horizontal ones go all the way through, while vertical are broken between each horizontal “bars.”

What a wasteful, costly collision model. Make the vertical ones just overlap.

OP, run the qc through StudioMDL manually.

How would I do that?

And what’s the QC and what’s studio model?

.qc is the text file that determines how your model is compiled. By default, propper puts this and the .smd files in C:\Propsource.

Studiomdl.exe is the command line executable that compiles a model from it’s .qc and .smd files (remember, you quoted it and the line had “-fullcollide”)

Run that from the command line and copy-paste the output here so we can see if it’s returning any errors. It’s probably some kind of “invalid collision model” or “blah blah blah too many convex parts” or “blah I’m finicky and don’t like blue hats” then it compiles with only 1 convex part.

You should probably just remake your collision model at this point. You might have a wonky brush, or brushes that overlap in some “wrong” way.