Propper hard fail, need help.

Hey folks. I’m setting my pride off to the side a for a little bit because I need some serious help with Propper. I followed the video tutorial and I still can’t get it, here’s my exact process:

1. Downloaded the propper 0.22 release and copied the contents of sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin into my steamapps\steamname\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin folder.

2. In hammer configuration, added propper.fgd to the Game Data files field of the hammer configuration menu.

3. Clicked OK, closed hammer and Source SDK and re-opened both.

4. Opened the vmf I wanted to convert into a model, an entire building from my map.

5. Placed an info_prop_options at the world origin

6. Put props/building1 into the Model Name field, and models/props/building1 into the Material Path field.

7. Saved the VMF.

8. Opened the Advanced Run Map dialog.

9. Made a new compile configuration nammed Propper with a single run command, “propper.exe” with parameters “-game $gamedir $path$file”.

10. Enabled “propper.exe -game $gamedir $path$file” in the Compile/run commands: field and clicked Go!

Spit out the following compile log:

** Executing...
** Command: propper.exe
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\half-life 2\hl2" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\building1propper"

Propper 0.22 by crazycarl. Adapted from vbsp.exe by Valve Software. (Jan  4 2010)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\half-life 2\hl2\materials
Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\building1propper.vmf
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
No such variable "$hdrbasetexture" for material "skybox/sky_day01_01rt"

Building reference mesh...
brick/brickwall053d - LightmappedGeneric_DX9
Read successfully
LightmappedGeneric converted to vertexlitgeneric.
Could not open material c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\half-life 2\hl2\materials/models/props/building1/brickwall053d.vmt for writing! Make sure the directory exists.

When I tried to create a new static prop, I typed in “building1” to the model browser, and it turned up with nothing.

I wouldn’t be making a thread about this but I’m pretty much at a point where it’s impossible for me to move forward in my map w/out Propper so I need to make sure that I’m doing everything perfectly and absolutely correct. Thanks in advance.

Your output folder doesn’t exist/isn’t typed correctly.

Where do I create the output folder?

Also, does everything else look right?

The output folders are defined by propper_prop_options.

Create the directories for these fields:

Model name
Material path
Source folder

Okay, but how many of what do I create where?

Basically, I know what you’re talking about, but I don’t know where to make the output folders and what output folders to make.

Materials folder in your materials folder; models folder in your models folder.

Propper detects the output folder from game/models/ so if you made a folder called bullshit in models, you’d put bullshit/prop name in the options.

goto tools, options and add propper to the list, err gime a sec…

watch the whole tute :stuck_out_tongue:

What about this line?

Could not open material c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\half-life 2\hl2\materials/models/props/building1/brickwall053d.vmt for writing! Make sure the directory exists.

I rerouted it to a directory that does exist, and I still get that error.

In fact, let me post what I changed and the compile log and you can tell me what I did wrong, because I’m stumped at this point.

1. Added a folder in the Half Life 2>Hl2>Models folder named buildings

2. Added a folder in the Half Life 2>HL2>Materials folder named buildings

3. Changed Model Name in Prop Options to buildings/building1

4. Changed Material Path in Prop Options to buildings/building1

5. Compiled w/ Propper, got this:

** Executing...
** Command: propper.exe
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\half-life 2\hl2" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\building1propper"

Propper 0.22 by crazycarl. Adapted from vbsp.exe by Valve Software. (Jan  4 2010)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\half-life 2\hl2\materials
Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\building1propper.vmf
No such variable "$hdrbasetexture" for material "skybox/sky_day01_01rt"

Building reference mesh...
brick/brickwall053d - LightmappedGeneric_DX9
Read successfully
LightmappedGeneric converted to vertexlitgeneric.
Could not open material c:\program files\steam\steamapps\vertazontal\half-life 2\hl2\materials/buildings/building1/brickwall053d.vmt for writing! Make sure the directory exists.

Maybe this?

dude, if you’re at this level with propper, just make C:\Propsource. Look at the info_prop_options for where it’s used. Propper doesn’t make it on its own. Then make the materials folders, a la <gamedir>/materials/ and <gamedir>/models/.

EDIT: Eh, forgot to refresh the page. Ignore this…

How do you mean?

Try compiling with episode 1.

How 2 do?

I’m using the Episode one version of the engine, if that’s what you mean.

Assuming you watched the same video as me, just listen to EXACTLY what he says and it should work, with a little tweaking.

On Source SDK use this:

Or use episode 2 if you have it.

Okay, will my map that I’ve been working on with HL2 still work? Or would it be possible to move some of the stuff that I copied from the Propper download into my HL2 folder?

Also a quick question about the use of Propper: Is the best use of it for cutting down on waterindicies to convert a lot of the func_detail stuff into models? What I’m primarily trying to do with it is cut down on Waterindicies, which are at like 90% even though my brushwork is only around 80%.

The map will still work…

I’m not sure. Just copy the stuff propper’s made into your HL2 folder.

Alright, I thought the map needed to be worked on in the game that it was started in.

All you need to do is put the SDK in “Engine Version: Episode 1” Mode and it takes all of the build files from the EP1 engine. If you put it into the Orange Box engine it will use the build files from the OB files.

No need for an game change.

I don’t know how I did it, but I got it fixed. I probably ended up doing what Benjojo suggested, but it’s working now. Unfortunately when I convert entire buildings the lighting looks like shit. Can I convert stuff that is already func_detail into models and the lighting be fine/waterindicies be cut down?