Purple Reflections

Hello there guys

I was wondering if you could help me with something that’s been bugging me for a while.

This is my problem (I deemed it too big to post directly).

My reflections all reflect some kind of purple. This also happens with windows that are transparent on one side and opaque on the other, like such.

I have all Source games’ textures and models installed, so I’m pretty much at a loss. The person you see in the screenshot is my friend, who says they see the same objects normally.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

This is what happens with a map that is missing the cubemaps ( and sometimes they seem to just outright “break” and not work until a restart of the game ). If it is your map, you can fix it by running buildcubemaps in the console ( do this in singleplayer ), because everyone will need your version that has cubemaps.

Either missing cubemaps, or sometimes if the map is from a different game, it can be caused by missing shaders.

I started up the map in Singleplayer and ran the buildcubemaps command, but it gave me the following error:

maps/gm_megadesertv3.bsp is not writable!!! Check it out before running buildcubemaps.

I believe the problem is that I downloaded the map from the Steam Workshop, since I can’t seem to find that exact file. All the files I can find have a different extension (such as .gma, .gms, .lst) . If I use Windows search it gives me zero results for that exact file.

I also believe I get similar problems in other maps. Such as some Slender maps having glowing doors, gatherable pages and models making them stand out from the rest of the environment, while it’s completely fine for other people.

Thanks for the help so far.

That’s because it’s not your map. You can’t build cubemaps if it’s not your map.

You’d have to extract the bsp from the gma - you are getting that error because it is virtually mounted and not on the actual disk.

It happens even if the .bsp is extracted and on the disk. I’ve ran into that issue quite a few times.

So there is no possible solution on my end?

I just find it really odd since it works for my friend and I’m the one hosting it.

Can you post a console log in

tags from you starting up the game to joining and loading the map?

So… I started up a 2 player game (same as with my friend) and it was completely fine now. Everything. No problems whatsoever.

My guess is GMod is temperamental. I suppose a possible fix is to restart the game everytime it doesn’t load properly.

Thanks for the help, you guys.