Question about VAC Ban

When someone gets banned and has to buy another Rust Key, is there a way Steam can link certain IPs from an original account to the new account being created? Not really stopping them from playing the game again but giving them a trophy of being VAC Banned so others know of their past? I understand there are many ways around this when creating a new account but wasn’t sure if it was possible to do something like that.

No. Valve does not automatically try and hunt down accounts of people who’ve re-purchased games they’ve previously been VAC-banned on old accounts. This has nothing to do with Rust or Facepunch, either, because VAC is run entirely by Valve. Valve in fact says that you can create another account and buy the game again if you want to keep playing it on VAC-protected servers.

There don’t need to be more threads about dumb hacker shit.

Searching through Google and through past experience, I would have to say that no, VAC doesn’t track and match IPs of different accounts for VAC ban migration to a possible alt.

Cases where people have claimed that this happened were because someone created an alt account and still probably had a modded game or leftover files, so VAC re-banned them.

edit: ninja

Yeh I read that too and was still wondering why there wasn’t more of a push to recognize hackers across accounts. Also I keep forgetting This Rust forum is just a sub category to a bigger forum that isn’t related to Steam/Valve, I do apologize for that.

Either way you both answered my question. Thanks

IPs can be shared in a large variety of situations, college dorms etc. VAC banning people on the same credit card might be a more likely way to ensure it was the same person, but they would just use prepaid cards or something along those lines. As it stands I believe Valve looks at a VAC ban more as a financial disincentive to cheat, as well as the multitude of games that many have in their libraries and friends they’ve accrued over the lifetime of their various accounts… Which is why cheats are often on accounts with just the game they plan to cheat in, and perhaps set to private to attempt to hide that fact.

It’s difficult enough to have a service like VAC that doesn’t generate false positives, which are more of a headache (I’d imagine) than allowing some IPs to purchase the game again, create a new account etc. That being said, there’s certainly the possibility that these IPs may be flagged in some way to keep an eye on new accounts, but part of what makes a program like VAC successful is secrecy. That’s sort of what led to the whole “Steam is looking at your web history” stories awhile back, which really just sensationalized a bit of out of context code. It’s sort of an arms race between the code developers on either side of the equation, and the money from the subsequent purchases almost certainly helps create a revenue stream for the companies that have to fight against this sort of malicious behavior, so it’s questionable exactly how beneficial it would be to immediately red flag an IP or something of that nature. A simple IP ban isn’t hard to get past anyway, ask anyone who has had to deal with someone being a nuisance in a voice comm etc.

I have a question about vac bans too…

If a hacker uses his hacks then reverts the game files to default before the vac detection is he in the clear? How thorough is the vac ban system?

VAC is always watching. VAC bans sometimes weeks after detection to make it harder to determine what hack was detected and exactly when. If you use detected cheats, you’re basically asking to get banned.

And the goal in delaying the bans and doing them all at once is, even if VAC can detect xyz aimbot, it doesn’t ban instantly and instead waits for more and more cheaters to fall for the bait and use a hack they don’t know is detected.

all anyone would have to do is open a new email and paypal account
they are back in business
the only blessing
the devs make more money