Question regarding large maps and lighting.

So i’m building a garrysmod build map, and i have the size pretty much set to the max that hammer will allow. I have the env_sun, shadow_control, and light_env entities, and have them set to go with valve’s recommendations for it. Now, when i load this map up in garrysmod (or CSS), there appears to be absolutely no lighting. It looks like it’s on fullbright and it just is…dull.

I’ve been puzzeling over this for the last few hours, changing every setting i can think of, including changing the light_env brightness and ambient down to dark blue colors and setting the brightness and ambience to 0 and 5, just to see if it does ANYTHING, but alas, it doesnt.

I went and built a 2048x2048 map for cstrike, did the exact same skybox and lighting as my other map, and the lighting looks beautiful, its working as intended, and when i change the colors, they change to.

My question is, is there a limit to the size of the map that can have lighting? if so, what is it? Also, has anyone experienced this before, if there isnt a limit? I’m pulling my hair out!

TL;DR - Lighting no workie on big mappie.

Make sure you only have one of these…

Only have one. I was thinking about how i made two maps, each with one :stuck_out_tongue:

Make sure Rad and/or Vis is set to “Fast” or “Normal” before you compile.

Vis is set to fast. Everything else is normal. No compile errors, and a picture for your pleasure. I removed every light entity except light_env and there is only one according to the entity check.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/waig.jpg/

And there are no leaks?

No leaks. According to the compile log. Also checked it on the site that checks compile logs for you (forgot link) and i had no errors. :frowning:

Post Log

*** Also, looks like the skybox texture is set to the default in this map, seeing as i had tried copying over the entire content of the map to a new file, i forgot to change the skybox, but that shouldn’t make a difference.

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\half-life 2\hl2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework.vmf”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul 7 2010)
4 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\half-life 2\hl2\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework.vmf
Could not locate ‘GameData’ key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\half-life 2\hl2\gameinfo.txt
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
Chop Details…done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides…
Merged 92 detail faces…done (0)
Merging details…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework.prt…Building visibility clusters…
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
Finding displacement neighbors…
Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Building Physics collision data…
done (0) (40222 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Water found with no water_lod_control entity, creating a default one.
Compacting texture/material tables…
Reduced 99 texinfos to 57
Reduced 14 texdatas to 12 (381 bytes to 300)
Writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework.bsp
0 seconds elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\half-life 2\hl2” -fast “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul 7 2010)
fastvis = true
4 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework.bsp
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework.prt
1296 portalclusters
2845 numportals
BasePortalVis: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
Optimized: 2264 visible clusters (0.00%)
Total clusters visible: 1654392
Average clusters visible: 1276
Building PAS…
Average clusters audible: 1296
visdatasize:429158 compressed from 435456
writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework.bsp
1 second elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe”
** Parameters: -both -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\half-life 2\hl2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul 7 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     

4 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[45 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework.bsp
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure… Done (0.17 seconds)
10111 faces
42060725 square feet [6056744448.00 square inches]
0 Displacements
0 Square Feet [0.00 Square Inches]
10111 patches before subdivision
730141 patches after subdivision
sun extent from map=0.000000
2 direct lights
BuildFacelights: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (52)
BuildVisLeafs: 0…1…2…3…4…
** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\Pleasework.bsp” “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\Pleasework.bsp”

Edit: So i just created another map, as large as i could, and did a simple light_env and it works. Can anyone please tell me what the hell is wrong with my map? :frowning:

Stop compiling with fast.

Vrad crashed at

After about 3 hours of compiling, it pulled the same stunt. I’m at a dead end.

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\counter-strike source\cstrike” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS.vmf”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul 7 2010)
4 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS.vmf
Could not locate ‘GameData’ key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\counter-strike source\cstrike\gameinfo.txt
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
Chop Details…done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides…
Merged 92 detail faces…done (0)
Merging details…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS.prt…Building visibility clusters…
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
Finding displacement neighbors…
Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Building Physics collision data…
done (0) (40222 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Water found with no water_lod_control entity, creating a default one.
Compacting texture/material tables…
Reduced 99 texinfos to 57
Reduced 14 texdatas to 12 (384 bytes to 300)
Writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS.bsp
1 second elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\counter-strike source\cstrike” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul 7 2010)
4 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS.bsp
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS.prt
1296 portalclusters
2845 numportals
BasePortalVis: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
PortalFlow: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (6217)
Optimized: 0 visible clusters (0.00%)
Total clusters visible: 1625614
Average clusters visible: 1254
Building PAS…
Average clusters audible: 1296
visdatasize:429090 compressed from 435456
writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS.bsp
1 hour, 43 minutes, 37 seconds elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe”
** Parameters: -both -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\counter-strike source\cstrike” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul 7 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     

4 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[1 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS.bsp
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure… Done (0.17 seconds)
10111 faces
42060725 square feet [6056744448.00 square inches]
0 Displacements
0 Square Feet [0.00 Square Inches]
10111 patches before subdivision
730141 patches after subdivision
sun extent from map=0.000000
2 direct lights
BuildFacelights: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (53)
** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\PleaseworkCSS.bsp” “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\XXXXXXXXXX\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps\PleaseworkCSS.bsp”

Same problem.

Try playing around with your lightmapscale on large areas. If you have a large pi8ece of flag ground that doesn’t have that complex shadows on them (kinda like a block isn’t complex) you should raise the lightmapscale to something like 64.

Also your vis calculation is taking an hour and 45 minutes almost.
http://optimization.interlopers.net/

read up on that.

[editline]24th June 2011[/editline]

Can I see a screenshot of most of your map?

If you have a very large brush in the map, try separating it into smaller brushes.

That doesn’t do anything.

Incorrect, it’s worked for me on many occasions.

Almost every brush is func_detail (Spawnpoint, airstrip, parts of the hangers, end of the docks, etc. Only world brushes arent.). Everything has nodraw on the undersides, and there are really no complex things. It’s a build map. All large grass areas already have the lightmap set to 64.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/expic1.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/expic2.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/228/expic3.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/expic4.jpg/

Place one huge func_visclutter over the area above the ground (including the buildings). It would mean that all the map would get drawn at once but at least it would compile quickly. Also, are you sure you haven’t got mat_fullbright set to 1 in the console. Sometimes it stickks between reloads.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3779442/Everything%20else/VBSP_Hacked.rar

try downloading this, and read the howto.txt file.

I tried the 4096 version on fast VIS and the count got up to 5 before it crashed. Did the 16384 on normal vis and it got to 7 and crashed. I wouldn’t mind restarting the map, if i could figure out what caused this. I don’t want to remake it, get to the same point and have it happen again.

What do you mean it crashed?