Queue feedback

Hey, I got some feedback on the queue system which was implemented to give out dev preview keys.

I understand people with gmod workshop addons are given keys by a priority, and I think it should stay this way.

However, I believe github contributions should also be taken into consideration.

Personally I haven’t made any content on gmod, one of the reasons being I do not know lua and never bothered learning it. I am an IT student knowledgeable in C# among other things, and am one of the many people who’d really like to get that dev preview.

If over-time github contributions were taken in consideration, combined with workshop score, I believe the queue would be more fair for more users.

Perhaps this could be adjusted when a second ‘key drop’ would occur(?).

Thanks for considering and I am curious to see what the community has to say about this :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Github contributions are easily faked: GitHub - Shpota/github-activity-generator: A script that helps generate a rich GitHub Contribution Graph for your account

5 Likes

You could try counting stars on repos, but that probably wouldn’t work either because a vast majority of personal projects don’t have stars. I think my most starred repo has 38 over the course of 6 years, and reaching that level would be trivial for a group that really wanted to game the system.

Personally I think a more automated form of the previous nomination system would have been better, but in the grand scheme of things this is basically bikeshedding. Unfortunately it takes time to implement these systems, and for every new metric you add there’s some potential for abuse that you need to worry about.

1 Like

@Nickishero
github

5 Likes

For me, that sounds like too much work…
I wouldn’t do any more than the current queue system, if I was in charge of this game development.

People want it to be fair when in fact all that matters really is getting it slowly in hands of possible people that could test and generate interesting content during this very very early stages. That’s their top priority right now from what I could see so far.

1 Like

Oof, makes sense. Time would be better spend on other things lol.

2 Likes

I like the idea, but idk how it could be integrated, and idk how well it would work.

1 Like

While I think it would be nice if GitHub was counted, I do think it would be a bit of a hassle.

1 Like

Contributions on Github mean absolutely nothing and can be easily falsified.

1 Like

GitHub contributions can mean something for the community, but yes, it can be falsified.

1 Like

Another one for the hall of ‘change the system so i get access NOW’

1 Like

Stuck at this number.

I think combining workshop contributions across most source games (tf2, sfm, csgo ect., maybe even moddb with hl2 mods) might even it out a bit, but still the queue system is fine as it is in my opinion, and people just need to shut up and wait in line like the rest of us. Remember, not having a copy of s&box isn’t violating a fucking human right.

1 Like