Quick skin switch

Hello, I’m new to this board. I’ve been mapping for a long time and know Hammer inside and out, but I don’t know anything about modelling. I’ve got an idea I must execute for my most current map, and I have a question about skinning NPCs;

I’m working on a map of my friend’s house for Garrysmod. I want to be able to spawn a copy of my friend within the house, as an NPC. Is there any easy way to copy the behavior/speech information from a civilian male, change the skin to a custom skin (the skin of my friend, which I will make when I get there), and add it to the NPC spawnlist as a new NPC?
I realize this could be considered a LUA-related question, but it’s really not. I know how to copy an NPC in the NPC menu, but it’s re-skinning the NPCs that I’m trying to figure out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

If I understand what you’re trying to do, then yes this is very possible. Unfortunately, only some NPCs can take different models. The Metrocop is the most common for this type of thing, others being the combine soldier and Barney.

You’d just have to make a new citizen skin, then “hex” a model to use it, then write a short Lua script to add a new NPC to the NPC menu that uses your new model.

Is there any way you could help me to understand the steps on doing this? I just want to know…

• The layout format to use when making the skin. maybe an example skin to build over?
  • The file format to save the skin in (jpeg, png? maybe I need to export it as something else, or convert it with 3rd party software?)
  • Roughly, how to hex it into the model

If nobody wants to type this much stuff out, which I’m sure no one does, any tutorials you can point me to would be a great help. :smiley:
Thank you so much, you helped to make this a lot more clear to me

sorry, but bump

I could hex the skin for you. Use GCFScape to extract to extract the citizen skin, which is in the Valve Texture Format, or .VTF. The citizen’s body skin is in materials/models/humans/male/group01/, as well as the faces. If you have photoshop, you can use the Photoshop VTF plugin, but if not you can use VTFedit to turn the .VTF into a .TGA so that you can edit it in gimp/paint.net. Then, when you’re done with the skin, use VTFedit to turn the .TGA back into a .VTF and i’ll hex it for you. When you open the body sheet you’ll notice there are two bodies and two arm sheets, the top one is for the even numbered males (_02, _04, _06, _08) and the bottom is for the odd males (_01, _03, _05, _07, _09).

What would be the best way to send them to you? :smiley:

filesmelt, google it.