Quixel Bridge Source 2 Importer

Made an importer for Quixel Bridge today. Tested briefly in HL Alyx, probably buggy but a solid proof of concept.

Video:

Source & dl:

26 Likes

Sweet!

1 Like

Nice! for anyone that doesn’t know:

• Quixel Bridge are a team of Asset & location renderers that deliver realistic-high-quality 3d Models / Assets. So if you went really hard you could basically use all the Quixel Bridge assets and create a very IRL looking game.

How heavy are the Quixel Bridge file sizes though?
are they beefy?
light-n-easy?
:pretzel:

1 Like

This is awesome! Quixel assets are great, would love to see them used in s&box / S2.

Nice job dude :slight_smile:

1 Like

The asset used in the video with 3 LODs and 5 different 4k .tga textures is ~240MB for the source content and ~26MB when compiled. You could reduce the source content size to ~144MB in this case by deleting the displacement and fuzz maps since those don’t get used but I didn’t bother with that yet.

4 Likes

Such a good tool for modders/mappers to use. Quixel assets are great but yeah slightly difficult to import to Source 2 normally so, sick job :smiley:

1 Like

Released v0.2.0: Releases · laurirasanen/BridgeSource2Plugin · GitHub

Changes:

• Improved support for asset types
    • Surface
    • Decal
    • Atlas
  • Material improvements & fixes
    • Handle opacity
    • Handle metalness
    • Handle transmission (translucency in S2)
    • Enable backface for transparent materials (excluding decals/atlases)
    • Use vr_complex.vfx or vr_projected_decals.vfx based on asset type
  • Don’t create a vmdl if exported asset has no geometry

Known issues:

• No support for models with multiple variations (e.g. most plants)
  • No support for multiple materials (e.g. plants that have a separate billboard material for lowest LOD)
3 Likes

Hey, 3 days ago, I imported more than 50 models of quixels and I noticed that there are big problems with some proportions and some megascan packs are in the form of modular kits and when importing 3 meshes are assembled in one while UE4 separate them, have u fixs for me ?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Awesome to see new useful Source 2 tools.

The extra tools community brought for Source 1 is what made it interesting to develop mods on back in the day, hope same to happen to Source 2 now

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. As far as I know the only way to deal with modular assets is to separate each mesh into a separate file. I don’t have plans for editing the .fbx files before importing on the plugin side of things, but the proportions of 3d assets should be fixed in the latest release. They now default to a scale of 0.4 (100cm = 40 hammer units) instead of 1.0 and you can change it with the launch params.

1 Like

Released v0.3.0 today.

Changes:

• Enable PBR specular by default in exported materials
  • Add option to delete unsupported textures, default on
  • Add auto-compiling of exported assets with resourcecompiler.exe
  • Don’t export modular assets with multiple meshes in a single .fbx by default
  • Add option to ignore support and export anyway
  • Add option for specifying shaders to use for materials
  • Add option for export scale, default 1m = 40 units
  • Add support for exporting assets with multiple mesh variations
  • Add .spray brush preset creation when exporting assets with multiple variations
  • Minor bugfixes

Known issues:

• Modular assets with multiple meshes in a single .fbx not supported
  • Multiple materials not supported (e.g. billboard material for the lowest LOD in plants)

Asset Sprayer demo:

4 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Does it support Lods ?

1 Like

yes

1 Like

Oh nice, could u add the possibility to choose the asset name ?

1 Like

Damn this is invaluable

1 Like