Radioactive Sandbox

Radioactive Sandbox a cross between a deathmatch and sandbox with a post-apocalyptic theme. You aren’t forced to kill other people, but it is an option. If you aren’t too keen about killing people then you can explore the map searching for valuable loot, or go on missions provided by your faction’s trader. The whole point is that the gameplay is open ended and entirely up to the player.

You start off choosing a faction. There are 3 factions, each with their own strengths.

[ul][li]Bandoliers: A group of misfits that travel the wastelands looking for valuables. This faction has better selling prices at their trader, as well as increased payoffs for missions.[/li][li]Exodus: A faction devoted to researching the environment and exploring dangerous areas looking for samples and stuff. This faction is the most scientifically advanced, and gives you access to various utilities including radiation filters, medication, flares and other things. These items are quite difficult to come across if you’re in any other faction.[/li][li]W.M.A (Western Military Alliance): This faction is a group of militants seeking to dominate the wastelands. They have access to better weapons which no other faction can purchase.[/ul][/li]
Once you have chosen a faction, you are spawned in the faction base and left to do whatever you want. You can talk to your faction’s NPC and go on a mission for him so that you may earn money to upgrade your weapons and buy more supplies, or you can go off on your own and explore the map, finding loot and attacking other factions.

Other features:

[ul][li]Customizable item system. Create your own items unique to your server.[/li][li]Day/night cycles that are map-independent. All you need is an env_sun in your map.[/li][li]Item/spawnpoint placement gun for admins, so you can make the gamemode playable on any map.[/li][li]Weapon base that supports scoped and non-scoped weapons.[/li][li]Dynamic radar that detects various things.[/li][li]Random events, such as fallout storms which force players to take cover.[/li][li]Bleeding, radiation, and stamina system that directly affects the player.[/ul][/li]
Customizing items:

Step 1: Open items/misc.lua

Step 2: Add something like this:

[lua]
function FUNC_TEST( ply, id, client )

if client then return "Eat" end // This is the name to show in the clientside menu

ply:RemoveFromInventory( id ) // Remove the item from the inventory when it's used
ply:EmitSound( "npc/barnacle/barnacle_gulp1.wav" ) // Make a sound
ply:AddHealth( 10 ) // Give the player some health or something

end

function FUNC_TESTPICKUP( ply, prop )

ply:ChatPrint( "You just picked up my custom item!" )

return true

end

function FUNC_TESTDROP( ply, prop )

ply:ChatPrint( "You just dropped my custom item!" )

end

item.Register( {
Name = “My New Item”,
Description = “My item is super special.”,
Stackable = true, // can you stack them?
Type = ITEM_MISC, // can be found in loot and in stores… for loot only you’d use ITEM_LOOT and for stores only you’d use ITEM_BUYABLE
Weight = 0.30, // how heavy is it (lbs)?
Price = 15, // how much does it cost?
Rarity = 0.50, // how rare is it? 0.10 is common, 0.90 is very rare
Model = “models/some_model.mdl”,
Functions = { FUNC_TEST }, // a table of functions it can perform when used from the inventory menu
PickupFunction = FUNC_TESTPICKUP, // a function called when you pick it up
DropFunction = FUNC_TESTDROP, // a function called when you drop it
CamPos = Vector(15,15,5), // modify these positions/origins if the model looks funny in the inventory panel
CamOrigin = Vector(0,0,5)
} )[/lua]

And there’s your basic item. You can remove PickupFunction/DropFunction if you don’t want your item to have any of those.

Any servers running this?

Yes indeed.

Give it to me

Currently there are no maps for this gamemode. There’s an example map included in the download here. It shows how you can use all the various entities this gamemode uses.

Here's the SVN page where you can download it:

Changelog

Maps!

http://www.garrysmod.org/img/?t=dll&id=93179

Media and shit

Do you need any help?

I need mappers.

Looks nice, and easy to implement into maps

I have a question are items randomly spawned or do they need a custom map some of the necropolis maps would be nice for this.

you need to manually place the possible spawn points yourself. I’ll be making a mapping thread in a sec.

here: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?p=20272221#post20272221

Okay then im buying a 8 slot server At the moment running the necropolis maps, ill post the ip when its up

I would make a gmod.com news post about this to gain awareness but the news post thing is broken. Maybe a gmod.com mod could make one for me.

[editline]08:55PM[/editline]

the gamemode won’t work without the proper spawn points and stuff.

Can’t I place them ingame? Because you tested it in construct because it takes a long time to get a decent map up

Dude, this looks really cool, something tells me I should make a neat map for this… xD

well it would probably work but quests would not function properly, and there would be no trader npc’s unless you manually spawn them using lua_run.

looks like a pretty interesting game mode especially because of the factions with different strengths, dont give up on it find some mappers i definitely want to try this

Me and a friend are currently working on a map, I don’t know how good it will be or if it will be suitable at all but it won’t be fullbright and blocky.

once gm_apocalypse enters beta stage then we’ll have something to test this gamemode with.

Hopefully my server will be alive :3.

gm_apocalypse would be just perfect for this if you ask me.

When you reload with the p228, it forces you into ironsights with the crosshairs enabled.

Was unable to run this, something about being unable to set up spawn points. Was running on a HLDS. Don’t know exactly what it was, closed console and gmod, off to sleep.

What would be interesting is to have a single, or maybe two traders that aren’t specific to any faction and just hang about in the middle of the map. This would mean that if you needed supplies you’d want to bring someone with you. Would make it a bit more of an adventure instead of just visiting your local npc, if you know what I mean.

It’ll print a lua error when it can’t find the proper spawn (because you’re not playing on a radbox map) but the game will still function properly.

[editline]02:26AM[/editline]

yeah the ironsights code is broken as shit, scoped weapons work fine though.

I was playing rs_basicmap. I also got a unhandled datastream error client side. I pasted all 5 folders in my garrysmod directory. Gonna try again now.

EDIT:
Server-side

[PlayerSelectSpawn] Error! No spawn points!
Bad sequence (-1 out of 5 max) in GetSequenceLinearMotion() for model 'Player.md
l'!
Bad sequence (-1 out of 5 max) in GetSequenceLinearMotion() for model 'Player.md
l'!
l'!
l'!
l'!
l'!
l'!
l'!
l'!

Client-side

Couldn't include file 'shared.lua' (File not found)
radbox/gamemode/cl_init.lua:433: attempt to index global 'datastream' (a nil value)
********** COULDN'T LOAD GAMEMODE!! **********

There was a problem opening the gamemode file 'radbox/gamemode/cl_init.lua'

Registering gamemode 'radbox' derived from 'base'
Sending 10 'User Info' ConVars to server (cl_spewuserinfoconvars to see)
DataStreamClient: Unhandled stream InventorySynch!Hook 'gmod_wire_hologram_shared' Failed: entities\gmod_wire_hologram\shared.lua:14: attempt to index field 'base_gmodentity' (a nil value)
Bad sequence (2047 out of 5 max) in GetSequenceLinearMotion() for model 'Player.mdl'!
Bad sequence (2047 out of 5 max) in GetSequenceLinearMotion() for model 'Player.mdl'!
Redownloading all lightmaps

Faction menu icons do not load and I am unable to play any further past that point.

you’re using an old version of gmod that doesn’t have datastream.

Funny man is funny.