RayFire To Source Tutorial?

I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube using RayFire and exporting it to source. Are there any tutorials on this process, I think as at least one person did that that goes here. It was a video of a collapsing bridge.

you would basically just attach each object to a bone, run it through rayfire, then export the animations as smd and import it like any other animation.

Yeah but, I have no idea on how to export animation.

Talking about this?

Yeah. That. I know it’s a model and all, but I really don’t know how to export animations.

most modeling programs with an SMD export plugin (or just SMD saving capability… XSI Mod Tool) have both “Save Reference SMD” and “Save Animation SMD”. You would use the save animation SMD and change the QC a little to add the animation (I’ve never actually done this, so I’m clueless here)

I thought I posted a tutorial in some random thread ages ago on how to do this.

Anyway, you make the object in Hammer along with the surrounding scenery.
Copy the bridge/statue/object/whateverthefuckyouputinyourmapsnowdays and any scenery which it will collide with into a new VMF.
It’s best to centre it all so that the breaking object will lie at grid coordinates 0 0 0.
Then save this VMF and open it in Crafty. Export it from Crafty as an OBJ file and import this into 3dsmax.
Change the material names to something more user-friendly (this is purely preference, but makes it a little easier if you want to edit the textures later).
Open up the RayFire dialogue and select everything that isn’t going to break and make the selection Unyeilding.
Then select the stuff which will break and add those elements to your impact objects list.
Fracture the object however you want (I think I used uniform Voronoi for that bridge).
Add in any PhysX influences (like bombs, wind, point gravity, tornadoes, etc…) and add them to RayFire via the physics tab.
Simulate and record the animation. Save the 3DS file so you can go back and edit later if needed.
Then simply export a reference SMD and animation SMD. The exporter will automatically add the bones you need.
Then after that it’s compiling the model and making sure the texture paths are correct.

If you want your model to have collisions, use a Voronoi type fragmentation as it keeps the pieces convex, meaning you can use the reference model as your collision model too (using $collisionjoints).
If you are planning to use a full collision model for the model, then make sure you only have 127 parts in the collision model (the engine only supports 128 bones per model and automatically uses one as a root bone).
If you need more than 127 parts in your bridge/statue/object/whateverthefuckyouputinyourmapsnowdays, then use the select list option in 3dsmax to select the first 127 objects in the scene, and use export selected to export that as your first set of animation and reference SMDs, then repeat the process for the next 127 and so on. This means you will be using multiple models to make the scene work out, but it will still do it’s job and shit.

Now please go back to not bothering me about this.

Way to be an ass.

Here’s a full tutorial I wrote for working with RayFire and Source.

Who cares if I’m an ass. I gave him all the information I could remember off the top of my head and he should be grateful about that.

That’s awesome, I bookmarked it so I can give it a shot later.