Raytracing in S&box

Seems like Source 2 is getting raytracing, maybe S&box can be the first game to actually implement it?
Garry could ask for some updates on it, might be worth a shot.

6 Likes

I have no idea how these technologies work when you implement them in your game/engine, so my question is, does this mean there will be DLSS as well?

It always felt for me that these were bundled together even though Ray Tracing comes from the API (Vulkan/DX12 etc) and not exactly from Nvidia

2 Likes

Dark rp is gonna look fuckin wack with this (a good kind of wack).

Additionally, anyone working on a zombie survival port yet? The real-time lighting would be absolutely preem for dark and gloomy environments.

1 Like

RTX does not always equate to DLSS, as far as I believe DLSS would have to be trained for a specific game and given that S&Box is going to be host to a wide range of visual styles and graphics requirements, I don’t think it’d be very viable to implement DLSS.

2 Likes

This is just your average intentional Valve leak. Same like the Half Life 3 strings. They even openly admitted it somewhere that they do such leaks on purpose to get media attention.

2 Likes

I’ve read somewhere this was the case of DLSS 1.0, and that with 2.0+ they’ve made DLSS a more generic thing not requiring it to be bound to trained games.
I could be wrong though as I have no source on that yet.

3 Likes

No, I think that’s right.
However, I doubt it will be added into s&box nonetheless.

2 Likes

Source 2 with raytracing, it must be a real graphic smack.

1 Like

There’s no reason Sam would have to wait for valve to implement raytracing, also probably wise not to call it RTX when referring to raytracing as that’s Nvidia specific and AMD can do raytracing now, it’s either a DXR or VKRay implementation. It’s probably gonna be Vulkan raytracing if there’s any chance of it happening cos Vulkan is the main supported renderer in Source 2 I think.

1 Like

Keep in mind. 90% Of those who use “RTX” are using Nvidia graphic cards and it would be very unwise to only support Vulkan.

1 Like

No it wouldn’t be unwise at all, vulkan is the industry standard for graphics apis, it’s the only one necessary to support, DX12 is shit and DXR is slow compared to VKRay… Vulkan is years ahead of DX in terms of speed and ease of use.

2 Likes

pretty much, the source engine community is literally scraping the barrel with these “leaks”. literally just text strings.

I’ve learned to just not believe in any of the text strings and wait till valve decides to show things themselves.

1 Like

Vulkan is not going to be supported by s&box, considering the client is windows only, and they have working DirectX, it’ll be a waste of development time to change APIs. (Garry has stated something along these lines in the now-deleted s&box general chat)

RTX would be nice for the hardware accelerated ray tracing, although I don’t think DLSS will work with s&box due to custom shaders.

2 Likes

Oof, that’s a dumb move, Vulkan is faster than DX12 for sure… Does Source 2 even support DX12? :S

1 Like

Half-Life Alyx use only DX11 and Vulkan

1 Like

HL:A already uses vulkan and dx11, in fact they are IIRC both built in?

1 Like

There’s a large amount of dependencies required by source 2 for vulkan support, garry decided to not go through the effort of setting all that up. (IIRC, the dependencies were absurdly large too)

1 Like

that makes sense.

1 Like