Real World Replica

So I am very very new to this mapping thing. I have a very basic understanding on how brushes and all that lingo is and means. Looking at all these amazing mappers, creations, etc on here, I am very inspired to make something and share my creations, mistakes, and accomplishments with you guys.

What I have is an idea for now. An idea can burn bright, long, and strong, as long as it is treated right. With the proper care it can turn into something much more. But for now, it is just an idea.

What I have in mind is using real world house plans and designs, and recreating them in Hammer as real and as life scale as possible in relation to the Hammer units.

I li want to get as detailed as to actually making the buildings step by step as they would in real life. Starting with the foundation, frame, plumbing (aesthetic of course), wiring (aesthetic but lights and stuff would work), insulation (aesthetic), walls, brickwork, etc. It would even gone as far as to making the frame depend on aspects like physics (if then foundation or frame isn’t strong enough or constructed improperly, it could cause the structure to collapse.

Since I am among mapping moguls and Gods, I would like to ask for your input, suggestions, and help guide me along this journey. Many thanks, feel free to post your questions, comments, input, etching down below! I’ll be posting my progress.

I’m not trying to burst your bubble or anything but the current physics engine Garry’s Mod uses just would not be able to handle a building that uses physics in the way you’re talking about. You can create constraints for chunks of it but if you’ve ever seen the phys_ map genre, you’d see that buildings that are made that way are very laggy in both how long it takes for a game tick, and for the network to send all the physics updates to its clients.

But other than that it’s a pretty cool idea to wanna build a house. If you do make it destructible then you can make chunks/turn parts into models and create gib models for them.

Thanks for reading and the reply!
I don’t mean realtime physics, I mean that if I were to apply that after compiling the map, it wouldn’t break… In other words, when I am making it, I will make it where physics apply but test them out one step at a time, so after I see if they would hold up in gmod, just make them regular and not physics.

As for the breakable parts, that is a plan. Perhaps only making a few unique areas breakable or a very detailed breakable part that follows the brick patterns but only a very small portion to reduce lag. **EDIT:-snip-
something like this:

you can do that with props and gibs

so I came up with this idea that allows u to break them up and still have a jagged look to the bricks, save draw time by not drawing the faces inbetween bricks, and still have a convex shape. The cons are that you will need to compensate for however much goes into the ground/ceiling when planning floor designs. I hope u like

http://puu.sh/gSvJo/62014b3656.png

[editline]28th March 2015[/editline]

just came up with idea v2 use two models, only down side I see is more faces drawn. upside is smaller area used per block so that = more destruction!

http://puu.sh/gSvXs/c923f80161.png

You could do something similar to the computer models in CS_office where the individual parts are ‘attached’ to the case, and the more damage that is done to it, the more pieces fall out. You’d have to propper the wall, though.

So I realized that I need to actually do a lot of pre work and research on home construction before I even begin with making it.

I was wondering if anyone knew a website, videos, software, etc that shows the process of home construction. Like starting with the foundation, then setting up frame, etc. I looked online but can’t seem to find anything useful or I am just not searching the right thing.

Any help on this would be great. Something I can visualize and possibly create a mock up so I can then just replicate it in Hammer.

Well I have started. I am just going to go with it and hope for the best.
Here is what I have so far.

I am fairly happy about it so far. I just need to add more support beams, the door and window frames and then the rough plumbing, then next will be insulation and sheetrock! I now see why you guys enjoy doing this so far, it’s really fun! :smiley:

What are your dimensions? That looks incredibly small for what you’re trying to accomplish and you’ll probably run out of space.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend looking at the de_lake, de_safehouse, de_stmarc and the pre-flood zone suburbs in L4D2’s Hard Rain chapter for some good, in-engine reference.

To be honest, I really don’t know why you’re going to the extremes of including insulation wiring or plumbing. I mean I GUESS if you have exposed insulation in the basement/attic that would be cool, but I’m not really getting why you would include it anywhere else since it would never be seen.

Also, I can appreciate the idea of creating something with that level of detail, but by and large that isn’t how maps are made in the Source engine. Proper proportions are absolutely essential, but so is knowing how to fake certain details for the sake of optimization and performance as well.

Source is a bit old, so even if you have some level of destruction to reveal the underlying infrastructure it wouldn’t necessarily look all that great.

In any event, good luck.

I will post a picture of in Hammer. And yes, I added a rotating door and saw that there was about 5 squares of space from the top of the door and the top of the frame.

tbh I am doing exactly the same thing on my sea fort, because most stuff is exposed as the majority of the house’s interior is not going to be finished (only the bedroom and the washroom are insulated)

[editline]31st March 2015[/editline]

The “mattress” texture underneath is meant to be a plastic wrapped insulation.

Would you mind providing me a vmf to that so I can see what I am doing wrong and I piece mine? I would love to use your great work so far as a reference to improve my own creation. Also, maybe you could use a cotton texture or even cotton candy (not sure if that would work) but I am sure the fun part about this all is experimentation and trial and error. :slight_smile:

You’re not doing anything “wrong”, you just need to look up how the framework of a house is built. That said, I didn’t look it up and I have no idea how it should actually be structured, it just seemed convincing to me. [del]Normally I would provide you with a vmf, but[/del] I built this on a grid scale of 1 and a ton of it using the 3d window drag functions, so it is a complete mess.

Here’s another video to illustrate the insulated parts of the building, and the vmf for you to look at. I took some bad shortcuts in places on that map, but they’re so small that I just shrugged them off. If you see any, avoid doing that. :v:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26426931/Ver/forts_sea.zip

I forgot to package the particle effect, so you wont see the clouds moving in the skybox.

I think I see what you mean. Regardless you did a great job. Excellent work.

The type of house you guys choose to make has a huge impact on how you’re going to frame it if you’re going for architectural realism.

Here is the wiki list of house types:

If you want a better sense of how one of those styles looks when it is being framed, just type X house type framing in google, there are a TON of reference images.

Framing is one of the easiest things to get right when designing a house like this, imo.

A chunk of those are built fundamentally the same. :v: