A work in progress by: KarmaLord (Pvt. Grif)
A little over a month ago I decided to work on a Halo themed team-based gamemode. This was brought up in a gamemode idea thread on a community I was part of. After thinking about it I decided to theme it on Red vs. Blue, the RoosterTeeth production. Originally I was going to start by creating Grifball (from the webseries) but then decided to start with something else. After a bit of thinking and deciding, I chose to make Red vs Blue Capture the Flag.
My statistics (wholly inaccurate unless I remember to update them):
Project started: September 28th, 2013
Last update: November 5th, 2013
Total time spent so far coding and solo testing: 24+ hours
Total time spent playtesting publically/privately: 16+ hours
Average player count in test server: 8
Current status: InfDev Development (Pre-Alpha)
It is still in the bare basics of development, but it is getting farther every time I have time to work on it.
Current features include:
- Halo Spartan playermodels (red and blue)
- Halo weaponry
- Flag dropping/resetting
- Respawn timers
- Sounds from Halo (announcer voices)
- Auto-resort of teams after a team reaches 10 captures
- 3 maps currently set up and fully working
- Lowered gravity and fall damage to give a more halo-ish feel
Planned features include:
- Halo style boosts (overshield, active camo) - Items coded, just need to implement a spawn system for them
- Classes (such as assault, sniper, etc) - Basic class structure is coded, need to create the methods for selecting classes, storing class across server joins, and menus.
- Vehicle support for larger maps
- Player statistics (lifetime flag caps, time on server, kdr, kill count)
- Multi-kill support (double/triple/monster kill sounds basically)
Is this planned to be a public release?
- I’m not sure. It all depends on how the overall view on it is.
Ask questions! They will be added to the FAQ, as well as questions I think of that may be asked.
Screenshots (none of in-play as of yet.):
Maps (currently coded for use):
The screenshots don’t show some of the newer HUD/GUI changes that have better font selection (including the Halo font seen in my header images), nor does it give much of a feel of the actual gameplay (which everyone who’s played it has loved.)
Also, this is planned to be turned into a larger compilation of gamemodes based around Halo/RvB. I’ve planned to make Team Deathmatch, Free for All, King of the Hill, Slayer, and Grifball so far if this turns into any type of success.
Questions, comments, suggestions, constructive criticism welcome.