Reflections on Rust

I am my own worst enemy. I’ve been playing Rust for a couple of weeks now, and I have been under the assumption that the other players were my enemies. Sure, I’ve had my run-ins with bandits and have been killed on sight plenty of times, but overall, I am my own worst enemy in this harsh world.
The first server I played on was fairly active, with an average population of 40-50 people at any given moment. I started out by trying to be as discreet and safe as possible. I set up my first shelter tucked into a small cave in the mountains near the hangar. There were lots of abandoned and decaying shelters around there, and I decided to eschew the idea of making a shelter altogether. What I tried was to build a series of barricades that hid my cave from sight, making myself nearly invisible in a not-too traveled area, while being close enough to the hangar buildings to be able to make quick supply runs. It was a simple setup; sleeping bag, campfire, workbench, and a crate for my goods.

No one ever bothered me up there, and it seemed a viable strategy for a few days, at least. I had a few neighbors, and we mostly avoided each other. The only real risk was when I ran down to the hangar, but no one seemed to bother my naked rock-wielding self. Then, I got bolder.

I headed down the road, careful to stay on the opposite side of the hills from the road. I stumbled on an abandoned house by split town/small rad. I cruelly took my hatchet to the sleeping bag in the open house, and set to the task of securing my new home. Day 1 was spent building metal doors and reinforcing the house with multiple entrances and a nice big gate. I also laid a perimeter of spikes surrounded with another one of barricades. The area had plenty of resources, so I spent my time quickly harvesting wood and ore, and making a couple of trips to small rad to stock up on shells, food, etc.

In no time, my humble shack grew to a 6-story fortress, with dead-drops, trick doors, barred windows, and an entirely open roof so I could see the entirety of my surroundings, including a clear view into the rad town. I got to know my neighbors, and ended up forming a small band of like-minded players who watched each others backs, and shared resources. In a couple of days, there were a few people who had access to my place, and no one betrayed that trust. Things were going pretty well, for a while. I had gathered enough blueprints/research kits so I could craft nearly all of the weapons, ammo, and health kits.

The server I was on had a heavy admin presence, and they were kind enough to distribute flares for planes at least once a day. I utilized two of those and got all of the drops, leading to an upgrade of security with plenty of metal components and lots of extra foundations. I didn’t venture much outside of the comfort of my immediate area much, except for when my neighbors and I would trek up the road on a supply run, heavily armed. I think I may have died once due to being shot, but with such a defended and stocked base, it wasn’t much of an issue.

I logged in and found out that my house had been raided. Due to the excessive admin-given plane flares, everyone had plenty of C4 on the server, so it was only a matter of time until something happened. After the raid, I re-secured the house and soldiered on.

I decided to hit the road, one day, and proceeded to get really, really lost. I Googled a map, tried to figure out where I was by the movement of the sun, and just ended up “off map,” in an area with no resources, no animal, and just starved to death. It was my first lesson in how I could be my own worst enemy. The experience made me think that Rust was a pretty decent survival simulator. If this had been real life, the urge to explore and push past my knowledge of the area around where I was familiar killed me. I was also unprepared for the journey, assuming I would end up back home by nightfall. In total, I spent something like 3 game day cycles wandering out there. Stupid me.

After respawning, I immediately ran down to the town by my house to make my usual circuit of crates. I just took my naked, rock-toting self down there, and was immediately killed for no reason. Since it was so quick to my last spawn, I had to random spawn. I was lucky to pop up in an area where there was a decaying mega-house, full of crates with weapons, Kevlar, and lots of great supplies. I filled every inventory spot I had, and made my way back in as careful a route as I could figure. I was wandering through the mountains, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, when someone started shooting from behind. Before I could even turn around, I was dead.

Yeah, I know that is how harsh the experience in Rust can be, but it pissed me off that the person who killed me was actually a player I had run into countless times before, with no incident. He just laughed and typed in “OMG” in the chat. He had Kevlar on himself, and obviously was armed to the teeth. There was no practical reason for him to kill me other than the fact that I was there. I was running away from him, oblivious, and he shot me in the back. This game has proven to me that there is no honor on the island (well, very little, at least.) I think I responded in chat to the effect of fuck this game, and logged off.

I was bombarded on Steam with messages to come back. People were offering to help; even the guy who killed me was offering to give some of my stuff back. I had had enough of being on that server, with all of its air drops and metal mega houses. As fun as it was to get those drops, it sort of ruined the experience. If you were lucky enough to get those crates, there was no real need to harvest resources, you just got to set about building a fortress with the spoils. I’ve played on multiple servers, now, and I’ve never seen one as populated with metal buildings as that one.

I decided to move on to a sparsely populated vanilla server. I was smarter this time around. I wouldn’t build a huge place, knowing that it is the equivalent of painting a huge target on it. I settled behind a mountain between the hangar and small rad. Things were going well, as the server actually had an active police-type group who tracked bandit activity and pretty much kept things civil. I made friends with some of them, shared resources, and started being more vocal about things like announcing that I was about to pop off some shots while hunting, in case someone was nearby. No one messed with my house, and I was never even shot at once.

Things got so comfortable, that I decided to start exploring again. To come back to my first statement about being my own worst enemy, I learned a few times that getting lost on the island is almost certain death. Sure, I was smart enough to bring a bunch of food and such, but sure enough, I got lost again, and shit hit the fan. The terrain all looks similar, and I was fooling myself into thinking that around the next bend or over the next hill, my house would magically appear. I remember running across a wood pile and a deer after seeing nothing for around 20 minutes. I figured I was close to a road, as that stuff spawns near populated areas. I didn’t kill the deer, figuring I’d find more. I didn’t, and died of starvation.

There was a server reset, and I decided to really tuck myself away in a small 2x1 with mountain on three sides. It was so well hidden, that I struggled to find it, usually. That’s not a bad thing, considering that it was so off the beaten path that no one would really mess with it. I was wandering back to it with a full inventory, flush with a successful loop from hangar to small rad. I ended up falling a short distance which seemed safe, but it killed me. I must have searched for 30 minutes trying to recover my stuff, but never found it.
All in all, the playing experience has been wonderful. Rust is an engaging, tense, and challenging game. It’s taught me that, if it were a real life experience, I wouldn’t trust anyone, wouldn’t last very long, and would be way less bold about trying to explore my surroundings. Overall, I’ve enjoyed the simulated apocalypse of this world better than a lot of other similar games (especially War Z cough cough.)

There are aspects of the game that I wish would change. Why so many guns? Wouldn’t it be a better experience if the best weapon in the game was a bow? Seriously, the game would change for the better if raiding houses involved having to hack down the defenses by hand, and having to melee anyone inside. There should also be more options for crafting; clothing, better and more varied house parts, traps, etc. I am sure that once things like thirst are introduced, we will see weather changes and water collectors and such. It would also be great to use some of that ubiquitous paper to have your character make in-game maps, similar to the way that Minecraft shows explored areas. In fact, it would be cool to head to the top of a hill and have to spend time “crafting” the next section of map with what you can currently see.

Rust is off to a great start, and I cannot wait to see the changes that the team are working on. It has also been great to see the creativity of the community, both in building the world and in forming instant societies with all sorts of rules, factions, crime, and punishment.

Hey there, sir. The intro was so engaging I ended up reading the whole story, you described the joys and strugles of most Rust players very well.
I want to let you know that the game is getting reworked and I think you’re going to like the rework.
It’s a lotta stuff though, maybe wanna chat about it on steam?
We could even try playing together when the new version is playable :slight_smile:

JK i did read it :smile:

(User was banned for this post ("Meme" - verynicelady))

tldr. Really should try too make more readable posts not many have unlimited free time too want too read that lol but glad you like rust, they are the best of the best. Only wish they would make the game playable faster but I guess they are unable too.

Next time do a youtube video.

Because reading is too tough?

the very epitome of rust:) nice work

Because everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame.