"RELOAD [materials\games\16\]" ?

So when playing Gmod the game goes into an endless lag spike whenever I try to use a menu. I can open the menus just fine, but as soon as I click on something the lag starts up. For example, I can go to the Q menu and it will load. However, if I click on a prop, a category, or a tab (in the screenshot I clicked on the NPC tab) then the lag occurs. This also affects the context menu. I can click on the player model menu and change the colors just fine, but when I actually select a playermodel the game gets stuck running at about one frame per second.

While this would normally just be annoying, the issue is that the lag never stops. Because of this Garry’s Mod has effectively been rendered unplayable to me which is pretty darn frustrating. I checked the console to see what the thing’s trying to do and discovered it is stuck repeatably printing two messages over and over again: “RELOAD [materials\games\16]” and "RELOAD [materials\vgui]

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/sgtpieman/Tech/help.jpg

I’ll be honest here. I have no clue what this means. Is it trying to reload the textures from an entire game over and over again thereby causing the lag? I don’t know how to fix this issue and would greatly appreciate any help in solving this.

I’d be very interested to find out what the deal is here as well. My game does this too, and I can’t for the life of me (through google or gmod’s console’s IntelliSense) get ahold of any console commands to make it stop doing this.

I screencapped it when it was just four, but seriously it does this hundreds of times. Really REALLY hard to dev addons when the game hangs up at every turn.

And it doesn’t just do it with /materials/16, or any particular folder/file, as OP mentioned, but seems to do it with just about every material/texture at some point.

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried lowering video settings?