Remove the "Crazy in Love"-badge

I dont know what the purpose of this badge is. It just encourages some people to spam likes on literally every post regardless of its content. I am sure other people noticed this too.

Just the description tells you how degenerate of a flag this is, I myself have turned off notifications on likes a long time ago because of a certain individual.

3 Likes

So that’s why I’m so loved. :joy:

2 Likes

I agree, there isn’t nearly enough activity to justify 50 likes a day.

3 Likes

I don’t think we even have enough people commenting or active on these forums to even get that badge, but nevertheless it would probably be better for it to be disabled, I agree.

2 Likes

Spamming likes for a badge is extremely stupid, but what harm does it actually do outside of spamming your feed? If it bothers you, shouldn’t blocking the notification be enough?

If it’s not the notifications, do likes really hold that much value? If people have suggestions they can be voted on. If someone has a good idea it will get more likes than just the one spammer, and probably replies as well.

Likes feel like ratings on oldpunch to me.

I’m genuinely wondering what the stance is, I’ve always laughed seeing shadow liking yet another obscure post

3 Likes

Even if likes are not all that valuable, they will be even less so if there’s a badge that might encourage people to spam likes wherever they can.
Likes are meant to be feedback to the user that what they posted was a valuable contribution to a discussion, according to them. It’s not very thrilling to find out a post got liked because they wanted a badge, not because they care about what you said. That would make likes completely worthless. And to prevent that, it would be good to just remove those badges completely, rather than just “disabling notifications”, which really does not solve the problem.

3 Likes

Exactly, the first days it felt nice to see your post getting a lot of likes, then it became annoying because everything you posted was getting liked, they became so useless it was just better to turn off the notification, and to be honest even if the badge gets deleted I might not even turn the notification back on since they lost all meaning.

3 Likes

So I am supposed to disable all like notifications because some random guy decides to spam them?

3 Likes

The question I’m having is what’s the CORE problem here. Is it the notifications, or is it that likes are going to be devalued? To me the badges are meaningless, so I don’t really care if they get removed. Removing the badge feels like only a minor solution. Any random thing can make people spam likes. I mean, we have a LEADERBOARD of who likes us the most on our profile summary. Who’s to say they wouldn’t just start liking you to get to the top?

You get a notification for the first like you get, and then the 10th I think. All it takes is any one guy to like a post to get that notification. As user count goes up, or your posting quality increases, you may get likes all the time. You’d eventually block them then, if that’s what irritated you about it.

I remember people complaining that the amount of likes you have were too low, but I don’t remember if they were increased after that. Surely making them scarcer would immediately increase the value too.

2 Likes

It was nice seeing your posts getting liked at first, but now it’s 90% of my notifications even if I have it set to what is supposedly the second less frequent option, right after “Never”.
I wish it would be more customizable, giving you these options to notify you:

• Notify if you get more than X likes on a post
  • Notify if the Original Poster likes your post
  • Notify if someone of rank X or above likes your post
  • Notify if an inactive post received a like

And more checkboxes to tick.

6 Likes

No that’s not what we’re trying to say, please do not namedrop

6 Likes