RenderView messing with water surfaces

Hi there,

I am having some issues with renderView. The basic idea is: I want to override the scene rendering using a custom function. The code is the following:

local function RenderScene( Origin, Angles )                

local CamData = {}
        CamData.angles = Angles
        CamData.origin = Origin
        CamData.x = 0
        CamData.y = 0
        CamData.w = ScrW()
        CamData.h = ScrH()

local fov = LocalPlayer():GetFOV()
        if(ValidEntity(LocalPlayer():GetActiveWeapon()) and (LocalPlayer():GetActiveWeapon():GetClass() == "gmod_camera")) then
            local weap = LocalPlayer():GetActiveWeapon()
            fov = weap.CameraZoom
        end
        CamData.viewmodelfov = 62
        CamData.fov = fov

CamData.znear = 1
        CamData.drawhud = true

render.RenderView( CamData )

return true;

end  

local function GenerateHook()
        hook.Add( "RenderScene", "RenderWithDifferentNearPlane", RenderScene );
    end

timer.Simple(2, GenerateHook )

First of all… the wait of two seconds is on intention… if it overrides rendering immediately (when you spawn) some errors sometimes occur so it’s basically just a simple workaround. The difference to the normal code is: the near plane (CamData.znear) is much closer than it normally is (for player resizer) - thanks to Jinto for giving me this command it is admittedly undocumented (default value seems to be about 3 if you want to play with it).

However: while that code completely overrides scene rendering it comes with downsides. For some reason whenever RenderView is rendering the scene water surfaces mess up. To try this yourself: look at a water surface and enable Super DOF (also uses RenderView).

So let’s look at the water in rp_resort without render.RenderView code:
http://l0nk.org/render-nrv.jpg
And now with render view enabled:
http://l0nk.org/render-wrv.jpg
Well, obviously everything under the water surface is moved instead of being refracted. Any way to get water surfaces rendered correctly with RenderView?

Thank you!

So that’s what’s causing it:v: I thought my gfx card was about to go down:downs: No idea how to fix it though, sorry:frown: