**NOTE When making suggestions about adding things to the map, please keep in mind that this is only my second project in Hammer, and my skill level is still firmly in the Beginner range.
NOTE #2 Due to my sleep problems, I’ll probably be going to sleep soon after posting this. I wanted to get the download and the thread going for those people who want to download it and try it on their own systems. Soon after I wake up I’ll probably load the map onto my passworded server and see if anyone wants to join me for some informal brainstorming/testing.
NOTE #3I know I didn’t yet finish it on my other map, but I will be crediting all beta testers who give constructive feedback. (in other words, “it sucks” isn’t going to get anyone’s name on the final download page… but polite constructive criticism will) I’ll also be going back and finishing that on gm_wastelands at some point.**
What is this map? It’s sort of a gimmick, I admit. Two futuristic flying carriers facing off in midair, so you can build planes on them and fight each other in the air. No ground, no water, just blue sky all around. (might attempt some clouds or haze later) There are three takeoff/landing strips on top of each carrier, plus a launch tube directly off the hangar deck. Entry to the hangar deck from the flight deck can be done by ramp or by large elevator. There are up and down buttons on both floors to summon the elevator. (they’re also close enough to the platform that you can use them while standing on it)
I’ve provided multiple methods of getting from one deck to the other on foot. Aside from the large elevator, there is a network of corridors running around and through the ship. There are functioning ladders in two different places to get from the hangar deck to either the catwalks above it or to the flight deck. You can take a ramp from the catwalk up into the bridge tower.
What this map is not is an RP map. If you find that you want to use it for that, great… but I’m not going to throw in a ton of ship details (like a detailed engine room) for a map intended to be a large wide-open build map.
What am I asking of you? I suck at building flying vehicles. I need people adept at building planes to give the map a thorough flogging and see if it holds up decent framerates while you’re flying around… and I also need to know how well your flying vehicles get around while landed on the carriers. I’d also like feedback on what details you’d like to see put in, but please keep the note at the top in mind. I am still very much a beginner with Hammer. As an aside, my current plan is to release this pretty close to its current simplistic form, and then come back and do a refresh of the map later on when my experience grows. Working doors, custom textures, etc. So if you don’t see something go into this version, it may go in later.
- I get lights bleeding into places they shouldn’t be, on occasion.
- I get lights blinking that shouldn’t be blinking, when I view them with blinking lights nearby.
- When in camera tool, the map gets significantly darker. (not sure if that’s the map’s fault or mine)
- A few pieces of the angled flight deck are not perfectly aligned.
- When the elevator is first used on a carrier, it doesn’t line up very well… but if you cycle through the floors after that, it works much better. (but still not perfect, no matter how many times I screw with the tracktrain or whatever)
- Yes, I know it’s blocky and lacking finer detail. Some of this (the lack of excessive detail) is intentional. The rest is inexperience and frustration of trying to create something from scratch that has very little precedent. Pretty much all I had to start with was the Valiant from Doctor Who.
- The ships are as far apart as I’m willing to place them. I wanted a little space around the back of each ship for people to be able to fly around. They are also roughly half way up the map, so you have plenty of space to fly above and below them.
- I know some people think of it as “bad” when normal lights are close to a wall and create a glow on them… but one thing I will not be changing is how the inside of the launch tube is lit. I spent a long time getting that looking just the way I wanted it to look.
Now for a couple of pics that weren’t on the beta download page:
An overhead shot of the flight deck:
A distance shot of the launch tube. I know the pic doesn’t show a great deal of detail, but I wanted to show that there were some efforts made to make the hull more than a simple box:
An underneath shot of the launch tube and the hover thrusters:
Thanks in advance for your assistance, and thank you for taking the time to read all that. Sorry for the novel. Wanted to cover as much as I could before I logged off for the “night”. (but I’ll be around for a few minutes more, at least)