Requesting some lighting tools to be made? Consider it a challenge.

Hello everyone

I’m a new coder (and a reluctant one at that). My only coding experience has been a class that sorta-kinda covered Java in 9th grade. I’m not a coder by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems like coding is my only hope to get what I want. You see, I’m an aspiring Lighting Designer, and I like to mess around in GMOD and test out ideas that I have before I do it in the real world. The default lamp tool is OK, but it’s not specific enough for what I want to do.

Basically, I need a tool that can do a few things:

1. Have 2 different type of light. In theater, there are two basic types of lights: spotlights and washes. Spotlights have very clearly defined beams, while washes are designed for covering areas, and they have diffused beams.
  2. The ability to change the color of lights. Nothing fancy, just the same type of interface that the default lamp tool has
  3. The ability to turn off individual lights. Basically, just the same thing that the lamp tool already has- letting you map things to the numpad.

Ideally, it could:

1. Change size of beam. Instead of moving the light back, like the default lamp tool, it would be great if there was a slider to change the size of the beam.
  2. Change intensity. Once again, instead of changing the color to be more dark, it would please me to no end if there was a way to change the intensity of a beam. Not a must, since there are other ways to do it, but a definite advantage for tweaking.
  3. Different effects. You know how the lamp tool has different light shapes that you can choose? For example, you can choose between a window shape, a shape like jail bars, a flashlight shape, etc. In the real world, these things are called gobos. They’re basically thin metal plates that fit over spotlights (usually called Leko’s, depending on the type), and change the pattern of the beam. I’m not sure how this would work, but if it were possible to have a folder with a bunch of effects in it there, so I could add more as I made them, that would be great.

This sounds ambitious to me, and I don’t even code. Does anyone know if this is possible? Even better, can someone help me do this? Even more better, would someone like to do this for me? (It sounds like a wimpy way to go, but frankly, I’m not that interested in coding, I just want to design my lights).

I haven’t been able to find any addons that have any lighting tools, unfortunately. If you know of any, please, let me know. Also, if I have posted in the wrong place, I’m sorry, I’m new here, and I don’t know what type of a mod this would be.

Thanks for reading, that’s quite a bit of text up there. If you can help me out at all, please do so. I’ll gladly give you thanks when I publish my work (right now it’s just a deviantART page, but one day, if I get good enough and this mod comes through, I will add some of my compositions to my portfolio).

If you’re interested in checking out what I’ve composed so far, check out my deviantART page at averagezac.deviantart.com.

Also: D’oh! I posted this same post in Addons by accident, before I saw that there was a request part of the Lua forum. If this isn’t what Lua is used for, let me know, and I’ll continue my search for the right forum, but this seems like the right place to me.

On a side note, if you know where the lamp tool’s code is located in the game files, please pass that information along. I’ve looked a bit, but I haven’t been able to find it. If no one can help me with this project, I guess I’ll just have to look at the lamp tool code and see what I can do. Hopefully, someone will be able to help me with this (you, maybe?).

Thanks,
AverageZac