Reskin the ERROR model?

This is gonna sound weird, but I want to reskin the error model in Gmod, and I found out that it doesn’t have any materials. How would I do this?

Oh here http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=71938

Temporary entertainment.

That’s… not what he asked. AT ALL.

@OP: I’m pretty sure it does use a material. Give me a minute to check.

Not exactly what I’m after. XP

@gman003-main: Thanks

OK, it’s rather complicated, but it loads “materials/models/error/new light1.vmt”, which uses a $basetexture of “materials/models/Weapons/V_slam/new light1.vtf”.

If you just want to change the texture, you can just overwrite that texture file. However, I think that’s also used by the SLAM weapon v_model, so you may want to change the .vmt to point to a different spot, and then put your texture there.

Okay, but since these are in GCF’s, where am I going to create the new file?

My model files are in S:\Steam\steamapps#\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\SWEP\models\error\

I tried putting my materials in S:\Steam\steamapps#\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\SWEP\materials\models\error\

The base files are in S:\Steam\steamapps#\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\SWEP\materials\models\error\reference

Wait, model files? You’ve set up a model replacement?

No, I used the MDL files from the GCF, I’m trying to reskin them to have a black and purple texture instead of the glowing red one for a Gmod model.

The model should be at: S:\Steam\steamapps#\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\SW EP\models\error.mdl

The .vmt should be at S:\Steam\steamapps#\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\SW EP\materials\models\error
ew light1.vmt

The .vtf should be at S:\Steam\steamapps#\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\SW EP\materials\models\weapons\v_slam
ew light1.vtf

I forgot to mention that I changed new light1.vmt to this:

“VertexLitGeneric”
{
// Original shader: VertexLitSelfIlluminatedTexture
“$basetexture” “models/error/reference/new light1”
“$selfillum” 1
“Proxies”
{
“Sine”
{
“resultVar” “$selfIllumTint”
“sinemin” 0.10
“sinemax” 1.00
“sineperiod” 0.50
}
}
}

(I only changed the $basetexture.)

Well, then the texture would be S:\Steam\steamapps#\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\SW EP\Materials\models\error\reference
ew light1.vtf

That’s where it is and it isn’t working. There is a VMT in the same folder, just in case that affects it. The VMT’s base texture points to the vtf.

[editline]10:15PM[/editline]

Are you sure that new light1 is the right texture?

I’m sure it is on mine. If you want to double-check that our models are both trying to load the same material, open it up in HLMV, and look under the Model tab, at the “VMTs Loaded”. There’s a small chance that we have slightly different versions of the model, that look in different places for the texture.

I checked, and I guess it is new light1. I don’t know why it wouldn’t be working.

Just hex it so its looking in a non-existant folder for the materials then it will be pink and black.

Not very familiar with hexing, which part do I edit?
(And I noticed that file’s name is Arror.mdl

You go to the bottom of the MDL file in the hex editor and change the folder name of error to arror, thats what I did.

I hexed it to arror so it didn’t replace the original error model. ^^

That’s what i figured… and what I tried. I really don’t know why, but nothing is working. O_O

You do realize that HLMV doesn’t read from the addons folder, right?

Yeah of course. I’m viewing these from my model in Gmod.