resource.AddFile doesn't work in certain cases

(Both the gmod and fastdl server are linux, i’ve already double checked filenames)

When using this (the vtf file exists and it’s in the right place on FastDL):

resource.AddFile("materials/vgui/ttt_custom/icon_jihad.vmt")

Nothing is sent to the client. I’ve checked with wireshark and it doesn’t even try to download the file.
Moving the file and changing code to this:

resource.AddFile("materials/ttt_custom/icon_jihad.vmt")

Will cause the file to download and appear in the download/materials/ttt_custom folder, but it still shows up as missing texture in the TTT equipment menu (SWEP.Icon = “ttt_custom/icon_jihad” in shared.lua). With the following code it also shows up as missing material

ic = vgui.Create("DImage")
ic:SetPos(256, 256)
ic:SetImage("ttt_custom/icon_jihad")
ic:SetSize(64, 64)

Everything but the icon used in the equipment menu work fine:

resource.AddFile("sound/siege/jihad.wav")
	resource.AddFile("sound/siege/big_explosion.wav")
	resource.AddFile("models/weapons/v_jb.mdl")
	resource.AddFile("models/weapons/w_jb.mdl")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/bomb1.vmt")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/bomb1_planted.vtf")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/bomb1_ref.vtf")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/bomb2.vmt")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/bomb3b.vmt")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/hand.vmt")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/screen_04.vmt")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/screen_45.vmt")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/screen_active.vmt")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/screen_off.vmt")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/screen_off_ref.vtf")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/screen_on.vmt")
	resource.AddFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/screen_on_ref.vtf")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/w_models/pr0d.c4/bomb1.vmt")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/v_models/pr0d.c4/bomb1_planted.vmt")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/w_models/pr0d.c4/bomb2.vmt")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/w_models/pr0d.c4/bomb3b.vmt")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/w_models/pr0d.c4/hand.vmt")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/w_models/pr0d.c4/screen_04.vmt")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/w_models/pr0d.c4/screen_45.vmt")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/w_models/pr0d.c4/screen_active.vmt")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/w_models/pr0d.c4/screen_on.vmt")
	resource.AddSingleFile("materials/models/weapons/w_models/pr0d.c4/screen_off.vmt")

[editline]1st November 2013[/editline]

So i realized that i forgot to update the vmt files to the new path, so now they’re actually working but i’d still like to know why it refuses to download when in the vgui folder.

Most likely because the folder is case sensitive and you cased it wrong. It’s VGUI.

http://puu.sh/55M0l.png

Honestly, in my experience with Gmod and Linux, you just run into problems. It might not be an option for you but I’d switch to Windows. I’ve had an issue just like this and there was literally no reason at all that it didn’t work, spent several days trying to fix a stupid mysterious problem and got nowhere. I don’t mean to discourage you from using Linux but from what I’ve seen it’s just problematic with Gmod servers.

If there’s someone that doesn’t have this problem, I’d like to meet them.

I’ve tried both and neither downloaded to the client

linux has known case sensitive issues