Rigging?

Can anyone explain the process of rigging a model with the H12 skeleton, then adding the proper animations to the model, so that it may be used as a player model? I can’t find any tutorials about it anywhere.

–Thanks

Bump. I need this answered please.

Basically you need to weight (skin) the mesh to the valve biped (can be gotten in the SDK or by decompiling a valve model).

With the limitation that you can’t scale the skeleton itself (there’s ways to get over it but pretty complex as far as I know and not worth the trouble)

Adding the animations itself is pretty simple as it’s just one or two lines in the QC files.

$include “neededanimationfiletoinclude”

So, I need to open up the model I’m rigging and a hl2 character then apply the skeleton and write the qc?

More or less. I suggest you spend some time on the Source SDK wiki.

I’m going to have my friend rigg it then I’ll put it in the list. Thanks for your help, But I’m taking classes next year so I’ll wait until then.

No harm in learning now then acing the classes next year. You’ll become heaps better overall that way.

if you wanna learn it with $$ go buy the noesis interactive cds on the Valve website! lol or torrentz em lol

Its a school course. I’m still in High school.

You can still just learn it now and totally ace your class later.
It doesn’t even take that long to learn if you’re actually trying to.

Okay, well. Walk me through it with detail please.

Rigging? It’s a straightforward process, people just complain that it’s hard because the process is time consuming for more detailed models.
Set up a skeleton, ideally with the bones in the center of the area that’s going to be moving, similar to an actual skeleton. The actual rigging part is just selecting the vertices on the model and assigning them to vertex groups, which are each individually named the same as the bone they correspond to (e.g., a bone named “L_Arm” would have a group named “L_Arm” that contains the vertices that are meant to be bound to it).
I’ve use an analogy before that compares vertex groups to the muscles and flesh bound to a bone.
You just do this over and over for every bone until all of the vertices are bound to something. For fleshy things, you do something called “weighing,” which essentially is just assigning sets of vertices to multiple bones. This allows the vertices to deform in multiple ways, so that joints such as elbows don’t clip, but instead sort of “squish.”

If you want to learn the whole thing in practice, just take what I said, look up some tutorials to solidify your knowledge on the topic, and start small. I started off with tassels attached to swords and spears, and then gradually worked up to more complex things, like cloth and eventually humanoids and beasts.

Regardless of whether or not you were being a smartass, there’s an answer for ya.

On a side note, I learned this in my spare time over the last couple of months.
I’m no modeller, I’m just a guy who makes comics and does physics… and got tired of waiting on people, haha.
I’m sure you’ll do fine.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me all of that.