Roleplay Servers etc. Taking Ages to Connect Then Crashing [EG. DarkRP]

Hello, everyone.

I’ve been having a bit of an issue recently pertaining to roleplay servers with Garry’s Mod on my Machine.

Whenever I try to connect to a RP server, it takes over an hour to download and then crashes on join. The surprise is, it’s not downloading anything…

Any reason or help? Please reply/comment.

-SammyDaMan

Specs?

Don’t judge me from these specs, please. I don’t have the money to buy another PC just yet

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32-bit.
RAM: 4GB
Model: Acer Aspire 5735
Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz

Misc:
Is Windows Activated? Yes.

In all truthfulness. I’m deciding whether to downgrade to XP or upgrade to 7. If you have any recommendations, be sure to comment those too.

Don’t downgrade to XP at ALL. You’re going to have many more compatibility issues and support is ending soon which means you will be exposed to viruses. Upgrading to 7 however would be a very good idea, and you should also be on 64 bit since you have 4GB of RAM.

If you have UAC enabled, disable it, it causes a lot of applications to not be able to write to files on Vista, which would stop addons from downloading. You’ll also want to make sure that the garry’s mod folder is not read only

I was considering XP on a dualboot, you know, since it was such a good pal of an OS to me at the time.
Either that or Linux. Sadly, my computer came on 32 bit and I can not simply get a 64 bit upgrade, so that will be an issue.

I have disabled User Account Control. Had a bit of trouble finding it, damn it’s caused me some problems in the past. Thanks anyway. I’ll test it out once I restart my computer…
Speaking of which. My Garry’s Mod folder WAS set to read only. Explains the many of addons I got to not work…

[STATUS:]
RESTARTED

You could dual boot with XP if you really want to, but on April 9th, support for XP will officially end, so make sure you have strong security software on there after that date

I’m considering Linux. Anyway, I’ve just restarted. Testing Gmod now.

EDIT: It does crash on connecting sometimes (normal, 'cos my PC is crap) but now I am capable of connecting to servers I previously couldn’t.
Thanks.