RP_Bangclaw - New roleplay map for the masses

Just gonna leave this here.

After hundreds of hours spent on mapping, learning, designing and redesigning. RP_Bangclaw is finally done!

The intention was to compete with the very beloved RP_downtown_V2. Or atleast become an alternative to people that want something new!

The map features :

• Quite high skybox. Allowing for roof climbing and even helicopter flying!
  • Lots of buildings and rooms, aswell as a small neighbourhood.
  • Big underground system and a part with a more “horror” type feeling.
  • A window respawn system to prevent windows from being broken forever.
  • Custom sounds and soundscapes.
  • A seamless brushworked 3d skybox.
  • An easter egg.

http://www.garrysmod.org/img/?t=dll&id=127711

Note : This map requires CS:S to work properly.

This thread is missing images.

Add images of different areas, show off your map. People won’t nessecerly download on words alone.

Thats weird. I added the images from garrysmod.org into the post. Perhaps they only show up for me ?

I see them now, but you can have more than three images on a thread, and if you host them via steam or another image hosting service, you can have some big ones. Currently the images are quite small.

Added some bigger pictures.

I tested this out yesterday and was pretty amazed at how complex it was, the underground as well is vast and pretty spooky. I really hope to see some servers start using this map.

Your inside brushwork looks moderate, and the map design looks fairly well planned. But, your buildings need better external brushwork for detail. Adding supports, beams, decals and pipes. Break the buildings up and make them choppy. Also, a lot of your buildings have 45 degree cuts on them on the sides, looks ok for like one building, but, don’t exhaust the use of the same architectural designs on multiple buildings. Just makes it repetitive and boring. The outside lighting seems really off and very full bright too, so, might want to take a look at that. I will download it in a bit and post my first hand opinions later.

Overall though, looks alright. You just need to learn a bit more about lighting and detail. I’m going to shoot you squid’s up there link to his YouTube channel, he does some pretty good tutorials on mapping / detail. http://www.youtube.com/user/darkironphoenix

PS: What’s with the name?

Way too many trees in all honesty (image 1)

There is something really really wrong with the lighting. I can’t work it out. The underground stuff definatly looks too white, but i can’t work out what is wrong with the environmental lighting.

Has a very GMod9 feel, I like.

Maybe it’s too bright? It looks almost fullbright to me.

That t shaped building on the has a bad roof. The roof’s texture is tiled and those types of roofs don’t work like that.

As you can see, where the roof’s faces connect the texture aligns badly.

I did look fullbright to me till i saw that there were shadows. It looks like the op has used a -90 angle on the light settings. But no one still does that right?

Thanks for the critisism! It really helps me on what to think of when mapping. There is always room for improvements but i felt like if i kept going i would probably never ever finish it. I still got stuff to learn as im nowhere near a “pro” at mapping but hopefully i’ll be there someday!

About the lighting settings. Its not fullbright nor is it a -90 angle. Im using almost identical light settings as cs_militia.

Use some a bit more angle on it so you get some shadows,
and also some of the buildings roofs looks a bit odd.
Other than that, good job

Looks like an ideal RP map, just fix the lighting and the minor architecture mistakes. Also, if you can, try to think of something different instead of just slapping on some walls as borders.

So where are the train tracks? I only see tracks that I can’t use.

If he doesn’t get his train tracks, he goes for a violent killing spree… :slight_smile:

*hugs blackice.

Looks decent, but booring. Please make more innovative and unique map next time.

The map is decent, could use some lighting , and texture work. I mean fuck, you deserve some recognition at least for the effort and time for the map. I’d suggest some more work and a v2 though, that is if you really care.