RPG Project Zero (Gamemode)

What is this?

RPG Project Zero is a gamemode I have been planning to make on S&box following on from my previous post that I made (RPG/MMO Gamemode). It aims to be a fairly basic RPG/MMO gamemode, the game style will be kept simple as there aren’t any modelers or mappers on the team plus I’d like it to fit the classic S&box style, this means that it will use the sausage playermodels with the bodygroups used as armor/clothing as well as the combat being gun based rather than swords and magic.

Current progress

Currently I have planned out most of the user interface for the gamemode in order to streamline development and not have to focus on coming up with designs when coding it, it should also help make the UI more consistent throughout. A lot of the UI designs should show a lot of what is planned, along with designing the UI I have also laid out the structure of the gamemode as well as the core features being written down with specifications so all that we will need to focus on when making it is just coding.

Why are you making this gamemode?

If your read my previous post I have wanted to make something like this for a while on S&box, I would like to make something more complex at some point that is a lot more different from the base game as in it would have custom models, particles and maps. However there aren’t any modelers/mappers on the team and I’m not personally interested in it.

What will the map look like?

This is something that I can’t really plan as I don’t know what maps there will be and if there will be any that suit our needs, for the best experience I feel like we would need a custom map however thats something we would need a mapper for or one of us would need to pick up mapping ourselves.

Showcase

I am a coder and have developed a quite a few gamemodes and addons for Garry’s Mod over the past 3 years, I also have 2 other competent coders who are interested, I have also done quite a bit of C# and some stuff in unity (portfolio: https://brickwall.dev/).

Below are some of the user interface designs for the gamemode made in figma.

Character Selection UI

This is what appears when a player joins, will let the player select their character, create new ones and delete current ones. Will show equipment and weapons player has equipped as well as their level/name. Might add a news panel in the top right in the future.

Character Creation UI

Will use default sausage playermodels as well as their bodygroups, currently planned out for the bodygroups shown in Wiseguys (Simple Terry Editor - A basic clothing editor for the citizen player model - #20 by ubre). Skin color tab will most likely be changed to be more similar to the hair color tab, might need to make eyebrows and hair style tab be more expandable for the future as well as adding a eyebrow color tab.|

Item Rarity Design

List of rarities along with colors and basic explanations for how they will be obtained.

Inventory Panel UI

Basic design for the inventory panel, going for a classic MMO/RPG feel by making the main panels draggable and more like windows so that the player can open multiple at once such as opening the inventory while opening the character panel. Inventory will store equipment as well as items such as crafting resources and random garbage to be sold.

Character Panel UI

This is where player’s will be able to see their character as well as equip their equipment, although the picture uses rust icons for the clothing, this will be changed to use the clothing from wiseguys, guns will most likely be the rust ones. As for the equipment slots starting from left to right: head, chest, trousers, shoes, face, shirt, gloves. Then the bottom slots are for primary and secondary weapons.

Panel (1)

Character/Inventory Panel UI

This is what I meant earlier about the panels being modular and draggable, it would allow the player to open up multiple panels at once so they can organise and mess around with their character, this would also be useful for professions down the line such as crafting etc.

Quest NPC UI

The first panel is just a basic NPC interaction, the 2nd panel is when the NPC is offering the player a quest, they can see the rewards as well as decline/accept the quest. The 3rd panel shows the popup when hovering over an item. The final panel is what will be shown when the NPC has more than one quest for the player, clicking on a quest will start the NPC interaction for that quest.

Vendor NPC UI

This is the vendor NPC design, you will be able to buy various items from vendors such as crafting resources and some basic equipment or food. You will also be able to sell items to vendors.

Weapon Armory

Auction House

Below are some UI designs for the auction house (heavily based on WoW auction house). The plan is that players will be able to sell any items they have in their inventory here and other players will be able to bid or buyout them. The first image is the browse page where players can sort and search for items, the second image is the bids page where players can view their bids, the final page is where players can view their auctions as well as creating new auctions.

Trading

As for trading it will be fairly simple, a player invites someone to a trade, if they accept then the trading UI and their inventory windows will pop up. They can then add items and money to the trade, they will also be able to chat directly to their partner. They can then confirm the trade, once both players confirm then either player can click accept and complete the trade. If the player doesn’t have enough space for the items then they will go into the players mail. Below are some more UI designs, chat box is a bit small and will probably need to have the size of the messages increased.

Panel (3)

Feedback

If anyone has any feedback or interested in helping as a modeler or mapper then feel free to contact me on discord: Brickwall#9013

18 Likes

Need some names for NPCs?
Here’s a list:

• Berry
  • Corry
  • Garry
  • Jerry
  • Harry
  • Huckleberry
2 Likes

Yeah definitely gonna need to call one Huckleberry

1 Like

Dev Update 1

Just a mini update, thought it would be a good idea to make the weapon system a bit more complex, so I started designing a weapon armoury that will allow players to equip attachments onto a weapon from their inventory, the attachments will be removed from the inventory and stored in the weapon. I also planned for some weapon customisation such as skins. When hovering over a weapon with attachments it will show what attachments are on the weapon in the popup.

Weapon Armory

5 Likes

This is some sexy ui, good job! Definitely an improvement from your gmod stuff :smirk:

1 Like

This could even be really cool as a framework for other people to do basic RPG campaigns inside of S&box. Good job !

1 Like

Thanks, yeah started trying to design my UI before coding it as thats what I used to do with all my gmodstore stuff.

Yeah hoping to make it quite easy to configure as at some point I would like to make an RPG with swords/magic etc. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

This looks amazing! The UI looks great. A S&box RPG would be really cool to see.

1 Like

Thanks, hoping to make it really feel like an RPG. Want to try and get a proper story and map etc.

That would be really cool. Do you have any specific ideas for what the story behind it will be? Without giving away too much information, of course.

1 Like

Not planned the story out fully yet, but seeing as it will be gun based, I am leaning more towards it being apocalyptic as in world taken over by monsters, outposts etc, fight monsters and scavenge to complete quests. Player would start in some basic outpost, complete quests there then move onto some outpost further in monster territory.

That sounds really cool. I’ll definitely be checking back at your progress.

1 Like

Dev Update 2

Been a few days since my last update due to spending some time on other things. Anyway along with the update, I decided to work on player to player interactions by planning the auction house and trading, this should make the game have more player interactions than my gmod gamemode and should make the economy interesting.

Auction House

Below are some UI designs for the auction house (heavily based on WoW auction house). The plan is that players will be able to sell any items they have in their inventory here and other players will be able to bid or buyout them. The first image is the browse page where players can sort and search for items, the second image is the bids page where players can view their bids, the final page is where players can view their auctions as well as creating new auctions.

Trading

As for trading it will be fairly simple, a player invites someone to a trade, if they accept then the trading UI and their inventory windows will pop up. They can then add items and money to the trade, they will also be able to chat directly to their partner. They can then confirm the trade, once both players confirm then either player can click accept and complete the trade. If the player doesn’t have enough space for the items then they will go into the players mail. Below are some more UI designs, chat box is a bit small and will probably need to have the size of the messages increased.

Panel (3)

1 Like

How complex do you plan for itemization to be?

I’d like to be quite complex, aiming towards WoW levels. There will be weapons, equipment, resources, consumables. Its not something thats planned out fully yet as to what items and how many as don’t have models etc.

Dev Update 3

Its been a while since the last update. I haven’t really done much more towards planning that I can show however I have been doing some more garry’s mod stuff that is similar to this gamemode, quite grindy and similar to an mmo I guess.

1 Like