RTX & Graphical Settings

How far will S&BOX go in graphics compared to Garry’s Mod? Can we expect ray tracing, DLSS, etc? The picture I am seeing with S&BOX is roleplay at a whole other level. I guess what I am trying to ask is, will s&box be comparable to half life alyx in detail? or better???

1 Like

Well its the same engine (Source 2), so it’s already entirely capable of looking as good as HL:A.

3 Likes

I’d expect it to be like Garry’s Mod.

Sometimes a server looks like it’s right out of SWAT 4 in the early 2000s, sometimes it looks exactly like HL2, sometimes it looks so beautiful I have to ask the server devs how they did it.

I’d expect the same graphics options you see in Half-Life: Alyx to a key, plus a few extras for things that Facepunch implements new (water quality? UI stuff?).

1 Like

it can be as good as the asset creators can make it, I guess. Technically you can have super detailed maps that go far beyond the source 1 limits already in GMod.

but yes, it’ll look better than alyx. alyx had a semi-cartoony artstyle, like csgo.

1 Like

Source 2 supports Physically based rendering (PBR) which is not raytracing but you can achieve some beautiful results from it. PBR is becoming the gold standard for performance and realism. Here are some examples of what could be achieved:

I’m pretty excited to see what people will make. You can already find extremely beautiful works in Source 2 like this alleyway. Small environment : Alley

4 Likes

Not sure if implementing Ray Tracing is worth the effort, but DLSS would definitely be a good feature to be added.

1 Like

AWESOME!

1 Like

@Sam displacement maps when
me needs

1 Like

Source 1 supports displacement maps, I’m sure Source 2 does too.

1 Like

Never knew that. I’m pretty sure Source 2 doesn’t have it since it’s impossible to add them in the material editing tools.

1 Like

We’ll be able to program our own shaders, so I’m sure we’ll have every kind of rendering we could practically expect thanks to graphics wizards. Hopefully most of it will be optimized(at least relatively), without having to use hacky workarounds like you can find in GMod.

1 Like

we already support tesselation

6 Likes

oh
cool
got any screenshots of it in source 2?

2 Likes

Source 1’s displacement maps are a thing only in Alien Swarm’s sdk and don’t work properly

1 Like

This is Sourse 2, not Unreal Engine with Unity. This support is highly unlikely, almost 100 percent, given that even Rust doesn’t have it.

1 Like