Rust Alpha Testing Report

**Hi, thank you for the privilege of playing Rust!

[Editing as I go! Removing things as they are added or someone changes my opinion on it]

Here are some bugs I have found:**

• When an animal is killed, the hit-box for collecting the resources remains the same as it was before the animal died, instead of moving with the animal.
  • Scrolling in the Crafting Menu is kinda wacky.
  • All hatchets (and pickaxes) look like (Metal) Hatchets.

(FIXED) - Sometimes, players won’t move. I have been able to fix this by dropping items on the ground.
(FIXED) - Animals don’t move. (I think everyone already knows that)
(FIXED) - Armor looks weird at times.

Here are some suggestions:

• A friend system, that allows you to see friend’s names from a slightly further distance (Makes sense, because you recognize friends easier than strangers), and gives you some sort of ability to spawn with/near them.
  • Make the Armor Item textures match what they actually look like.
  • Add some way to view yourself, either in the Inventory or with a button.
  • More chickens, pigs and deer (or whatever the plural for that is).
  • A big ask, but character customization. Everyone looks the same. And are all guys. With the same damn freckle on the same damn arm.

(ADDED: Nudity Censor, but looks just like Cloth Pants) - I don’t really like the huge emphasis on ‘Naked and Afraid’ when you start out. It reduces your target audience by a heap, and makes it harder for Lets-Players to keep their channel friendly. Maybe put some underwear on that poor fella?
(ADDED: Wooden Spikes) - Add some more ‘tower-defense’ aspects to the game. It is way too easy to get discovered and killed within your home.

Cheers!
CurtMantis

CurtMantis - Add some more ‘tower-defense’ aspects to the game. It is way to easy to get discovered and killed within your home.

Answer: Like what? An example please? It is easy to say add this add that…It would help if you shared your divine plain.

CurtMantis - Make the game slightly easier on new players.

Answer: Easy? Easy? It is fine. People just need to learn to communicate and call friendly when they are walking past other people. It is a multiplayer game so communication is key to survival. The game can be very unforgiving when you are being KOS’ed by a group of children for hours, I think noobs need the hardcore training.

CurtMantis - The plane sound kinda sounds like a helicopter, perhaps a new sound?

Answer: Seriously? Buy some new headset man. The plane sounds fine. It doesn’t sound like a helicopter more than a plane does it? It sounds pretty good.

CurtMantis - Make the game slightly more co-op? It can be really hard for new players to find their friends when they don’t know the map well.

Answer: You mean… Make a compass or something? Or a grouping system? I am sure this is already in the works. Yes we hear you. It will be coming I am sure of it. If your lost with finding your friends…work out the N,S,E,W directions by using the sun… In terms of communication it is not good at the moment trying to type on private messages and trying to see who is friend or foe. I highly agree.

CurtMantis - I don’t really like the huge emphasis on ‘Naked and Afraid’ when you start out. It reduces your target audience by a heap, and makes it harder for Lets-Players to keep their channel friendly. Maybe put some underwear on that poor fella?

Answer: Underwear? Naked and afraid? I see it as actually really funny. There is nothing to be afraid of. It gave me the urge to find shelter and to hunt to get clothes and warmth…which is good.

CurtMantis - When entering a radiation zone, the screen gets filled with static. So far, the game had a huge impact on realism, and I’m quite sure people don’t see static when they are exposed to radiation. Maybe a nauseous or dizzy effect. Leave static to Slender :wink:

Answer: Are you fudging serious man? Hahaha you actually picked at that. It has been used in many awesome games such as stalker series. I find it the best alert to radiation. Don’t you dare mention realism…If you want that go outside. This game is realism? So why can you make a freaking silenced shotgun with a laser sight when you cannot even make a carved hunting bow… Why can’t you make a decent wooden wall? Why can’t you make this…why can’t you make that. It is awesome the radiation warning.

CurtMantis - I’d like to be able to know who someone is from a distance.

Answer: But but but…You just said this game is about realism? So how the hell would you know who someone was from a distance? The current distance is perfect. It lets you conceal your ID and allows you to sneak up on people. Do you really think it would be fun sneaking up on someone in the dark and they can see your name above your head? Nah…I did not think so.

Man I am not sure if you were trolling or have no idea…the only thing I agree on is the “interaction and meeting of friends” needs to be easier…

That’s it man.

Funniest things were… The radiation…haha So how the hell would you know? 3 years later game time a message pops up “You have cancer from radiation”. That is realism man.

Seeing people at a distance and knowing who they are? That would ruin the game in many ways.

*CurtMantis - Add some more ‘tower-defense’ aspects to the game. It is way to easy to get discovered and killed within your home.

Answer: Like what? An example please? It is easy to say add this add that…It would help if you shared your divine plain.*

Perhaps some traps? Like spikes, or the ability to build trenches?

*CurtMantis - The plane sound kinda sounds like a helicopter, perhaps a new sound?

Answer: Seriously? Buy some new headset man. The plane sounds fine. It doesn’t sound like a helicopter more than a plane does it? It sounds pretty good.*

I have a perfectly fine gaming headset, and yeah, I guess it’s just being picky. I like the sound though :slight_smile:

*CurtMantis - Make the game slightly more co-op? It can be really hard for new players to find their friends when they don’t know the map well.

Answer: You mean… Make a compass or something? Or a grouping system? I am sure this is already in the works. Yes we hear you. It will be coming I am sure of it. If your lost with finding your friends…work out the N,S,E,W directions by using the sun… In terms of communication it is not good at the moment trying to type on private messages and trying to see who is friend or foe. I highly agree.*

A compass wouldn’t really be that useful, since it’s so easy to find direction anyway. I was thinking more like a way to spawn with a friend?

*CurtMantis - I don’t really like the huge emphasis on ‘Naked and Afraid’ when you start out. It reduces your target audience by a heap, and makes it harder for Lets-Players to keep their channel friendly. Maybe put some underwear on that poor fella?

Answer: Underwear? Naked and afraid? I see it as actually really funny. There is nothing to be afraid of. It gave me the urge to find shelter and to hunt to get clothes and warmth…which is good.*

Eh, I can see where you’re coming from there - but my opinion remains the same on this one.

*CurtMantis - When entering a radiation zone, the screen gets filled with static. So far, the game had a huge impact on realism, and I’m quite sure people don’t see static when they are exposed to radiation. Maybe a nauseous or dizzy effect. Leave static to Slender :wink:

Answer: Are you fudging serious man? Hahaha you actually picked at that. It has been used in many awesome games such as stalker series. I find it the best alert to radiation. Don’t you dare mention realism…If you want that go outside. This game is realism? So why can you make a freaking silenced shotgun with a laser sight when you cannot even make a carved hunting bow… Why can’t you make a decent wooden wall? Why can’t you make this…why can’t you make that. It is awesome the radiation warning.*

Can’t say I agree with you at all. Static is something that happens when your television has no signal. I’ve personally never been exposed to high enough levels of radiation to say what actually happens, but I think it would be great if research was done on this. as for your ‘play outside’ attitude, unfortunately, there aren’t zombies here yet :confused:

*CurtMantis - I’d like to be able to know who someone is from a distance.

Answer: But but but…You just said this game is about realism? So how the hell would you know who someone was from a distance? The current distance is perfect. It lets you conceal your ID and allows you to sneak up on people. Do you really think it would be fun sneaking up on someone in the dark and they can see your name above your head? Nah…I did not think so.*

Okay, fair argument. How about a friend system that let’s you see a friend from a distance?

Thanks so much for replying, and helping me communicate my ideas further :slight_smile:

[editline]19th October 2013[/editline]

No, not trolling. Just giving my honest opinions of the game. That’s what Alpha’s are for. Testing, and feedback :smiley:

FYI that “static” is the sound from a Geiger counter, so it’s a fairly realistic radiation sound. TV static is the result of radiation. It’s a fairly common way in games to show that you are near or in radiation.

Also I think that the ability for you to spawn with your friends could damage the game quite a bit. I believe that if you manage to get to your friends you should have to protect your spawn point with them (sleeping bag) otherwise clans could just spawn next to each other right after they die with no sleeping bag. Imagine a clan raiding your house, you kill 2 of them and then they just respawn. No thanks.

Again, the seeing a friend from a distance thing would also cause issue, clans would be able to tell friends a part basically letting them shoot everyone on sight without being able to even check if friendly.

Plane sound, don’t care.

Lack of underwear is fine imo. A good reason to get clothes fast. I assume later on in the game the cold will be a more damaging aspect of the game.