RUST Content Suggestions from a Professional Gaming Host

I wanted to create one single thread where everyone can post their ideas for new content in RUST.

(Updated list will be continuously updated below)

These are my current recommendations and I will update this as I continue to play. I’m looking forward to hosting some servers on your game and for my community.

Thanks!

We currently operate Minecraft servers and will be hosting RUST in the future: http://ohgaming.org

--------- New Updated Recommendations Below ------------

1-1-2014 Updated List:
GUI/HUD & Similar Recommendations

• In game map. (Even with a “explore to show” feature. Only showing terrain and not player buildings)
  • Visible “Crosshairs” to show where your strike will land.
  • Further player name render distance.
  • Slightly bigger hit box on the smaller animals.(rabbits, chickens, etc.)
  • Ammo display for weapon equipped in hands.
  • Better chat box system to see previous chat.
  • More client side configs in the options which will be saved and carried over server to server. No need to have to open console everytime for grass.on false for example.
  • A pop up display saying when you enter new territory.

Game Mechanic Recommendations

• Slight increase in animal spawn rate.
  • Make changes to the aggro & follow range of aggressive mobs.
    • Zombies higher aggro range & lower follow range.
    • Animals lower aggro range & higher follow range.
  • Additional wildlife animals.
  • Additional map details such as abandoned military camps etc…

Item Recommendations

• Increase the spawn torch life span.
  • Traps & Defensive items to protect your base.

Map Recommendations

• Water streams, lakes, and ponds
  • Additional buildings.

Server Side (Host Access) Recommendations

• Highly Configurable Server Side Settings. (3rd person view, spawn rates, and many of these recommendations can be available through server side configs)

Oh GOD no to the 3rd person feature. I don’t want PvP to be just wallcheating looking over shit like it is in Dayz.

The only thing I agree with you at all is changing the AI of zombies/animals, not the range and such, but the ability to kill zombies with a rock and take no dmg, and the 2 person killing zombies trick because of terrible AI

I love them all besides the Third person and the zoom in/out of the player. First person makes it more of a survival feel, so you have to be aware of someone sneaking up on you.

Only thing I like is the increased render distance for names. The rest are just turning Rust into WarZ/easy mode and I think we can all agree we do not want that.

The whole 3rd person thing is people confusing the game with minecraft, it isn’t minecraft and frankly shouldn’t try to be.

The in-game map should be #1 on the todo list above basically everything else - even if you have to walk around to “make” the map - once you re-spawn the game is just utterly obnoxious.

Soo… you basically want a big button that says “Enable Easy Mode”
So much stuff is subject to change dramatically over the rest of development but most of these things that make gameplay easier don’t tend to get much support.

^^ that was what I said. it has officially been redacted xD

[editline]30th December 2013[/editline]

Oh snap i didn’t think about that.
I change my mind, no 3rd person. Changing my post lol

Im willing to play along.

My Recommendations:

Placeable torches, (so you can light up your houses at night and whatever without a fire.
Home Furniture, (Things like tables and benches, just so people have more competition and reason to improve their homes.
IG Map, (I agree with this, it would most deffo be handy, the rust map is very good but very difficult to navigate.
Abandoned Military Camps, (These don’t necessarily have to spawn anything but just a couple areas where clans can turn into a base with a few sandwalls and a solid concrete surrounding with a main gate, something interesting like that with a tent or two. Non radiated so you can stay in them)
SandBags, (Make it so you can turn your own home or base into some kind of fortified base.)
More Animals, (I love the range fo animals currently in the game but more variety of life always makes everything so much more interesting, eg: Birds, Sheep(Wool for different clothing and other things), horses, (Form of Transport, very difficult to catch).
Knifes, (For cutting up animals more efficiently or killing things more efficiently than an Axe.

OOG Suggestion: I would like some form of story behind rust if you get what I mean, how did the world become what it is? I thing it would be most interesting if there was some form of impact creator or something or downed nuclear planes i don’t know. but it would be interesting and create something new.

Updated the list.

Can’t we have fun for everyone. I think all of this stuff is great, but the server owner should be able to toggle most of these to cater to their player base as they see fit!

I for one don’t enjoy having all my stuff taken, sure I suck at games, but I am another willing to buy and support this game as a consumer.
Having these features will be better for the game in a bigger picture than most hardcore gamer see. More monies to dev, more updates etc.

So you guys bitchin about “easy mode” etc… Get over it, not everyone is all about that stuff.

Bottom line is all of any changes should be at the discretion of Host of the particular server.

Not to mention all you freakin trolls have to do is complain. Contribute or GTFO.
Edit:Cause trolls are trolls. obama

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I’ve made the list more structured and will keep it updated. I hope this thread will become a sticky post so we can continue to provide some constructive information for the RUST developers and community.

In game map? Only if it doesn’t display your location, or anything other than landmarks already visable from looking around. GPS doesn’t fit with the theme of the game.

Visible “Crosshairs”? Doesn’t fit with the theme of the game. Again it’s survival. You already have Aiming down sights for guns, the laser pointer, and the holo sight.

Further player name render distance? This is one I actually agree with, at least until they add enough customization that we can recognize each other from what we look like. Until then names are all we got.

Slightly bigger hit box on the smaller animals.(rabbits, chickens, etc.) I don’t usually have trouble hitting these guys, but if the increase was barely bigger than now I guess it’s fine.

Slight increase in animal spawn rate? Check the Trello page, animal and resource spawns are going to get expanded and more dynamic in later updates. This is just an uninformed request.

Make changes to the aggro & follow range of aggressive mobs.

• Zombies higher aggro range & lower follow range. Zombies are going bye bye. No need to change them.
  • Animals lower aggro range & higher follow range? Some wolves and bears already follow for a fairly long distance. Any longer is just going to feel like the game is trolling you.

Additional wildlife animals? I agree with this.
Additional map details such as abandoned military camps etc…? Only if they aren’t shown on the player given map.

Item Tweak Recommendations

• Increase the spawn torch life span.

• Highly Configurable Server Side Settings. (3rd person view, spawn rates, and many of these recommendations can be available through server side configs) 3rd person can be used to easily to exploit. Looking through walls, looking around corners, etc. All of this detracts from the theme of the game.

All in all I’d say some of your suggestions are worth talking about, several probably wouldn’t exist if you looked at the trello page, and others just make this game so easy it wouldn’t be a survival game anymore.

Yeah there’s only a few, if any, things that I agree with OP, rest just ruins the feel of the game mostly and what it’s meant to be.

Really need some better admin capabilities like spectate, print player list, print items equipped by a player, noclip etc. to help identify hackers.

I’ll add thoughts about whats been suggested and then add some suggestions of my own.

12-30-13 Updated List:
GUI & Similar Recommendations

• In game map. (Even with a “explore to show” feature) - I’m on the fence depending on how it’s handled. I think a standard FPS auto map would be too much. I think a map item that can be created, and looked at however, would be nice.

• Visible “Crosshairs” to show where your strike will land. - Nah, although I’d love it if when drawing the bow, there was a better visual indicator naturally included(outstretched finger comes to mind) to aim with.

• Further player name render distance. - I’ve started to reply in a topic about this. I think the best way to do it would be that you could tag people you’ve met as friendly(with a large potential list) and hostile. Friendly would increase passive tag size as long as the character was visible(no seeing tags through mountains/houses) and would be mutual(both players consent/gain benefits). Hostile tags would only allow you to see the nametag if you focused on a player via aiming and are not mutual.

• Slightly bigger hit box on the smaller animals.(rabbits, chickens, etc.) - Nah, they’re small fries.

Game Mechanic Recommendations

• Slight increase in animal spawn rate.

• Make changes to the aggro & follow range of aggressive mobs.

• Zombies higher aggro range & lower follow range. - If what I’ve heard is true, Z’s aren’t going to be around forever but I think for being mindless creatures, their aggro range is peachy and the follow range is fine.

• Animals lower aggro range & higher follow range. - Kinda agree with this to a point. If possible, I suggest having the aggressive animals have variable aggro ranges. Wolves would be more likely to attack a wounded/bleeding character than doing so as is. Do think their aggro range should be reduced a bit for healthy players during the day. Bleeding/wounded(<50% hp) keep normal range, nighttime gives them normal range. Bears…honestly think their range could be reduced and their damage increased.

• Additional wildlife animals. - Yes please.

• Additional map details such as abandoned military camps etc… - Sure this is in the works.

Item Tweak Recommendations

• Increase the spawn torch life span. - I generally consider these to be nothing but a flaming(ha!), “GANK ME!” sign. But I do play on PvP servers but meh.

• Highly Configurable Server Side Settings. (3rd person view, spawn rates, and many of these recommendations can be available through server side configs) - Absolutely no reason I can fathom that this would be a bad idea.

And now suggestions(Mix of things I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere as well as thought of myself, and still mentioned elsewhere)

• Defensive items: Traps, traps, TRAPS! Pressure plate explosives, trip-wires tied to guns/improvised cannons, decoy containers rigged to blow when used… I’d continue but figured I’d keep things lower-tech until we see exactly where tech’s going to go.

• Spears: Truthfully, one of the first things I’d do if thrown into a situation that Rust throws us in would be to get a decent sized stick(staff-sized) and do what I can to sharpen the tip. Alt fire would plant it and deal damage against opponents running into them. Likely you’ll still take damage but higher chance the enemy kills itself as well.

• Harvesting Tools - Let’s flesh harvesting out a bit. Although this works best once/if a durability system is added:
    First we’ll take the knives that have been mentioned and then we have three types of gathering tools. Make each work best for different things:
    Knife - Best tool for harvesting corpses, mediocre for wood, pathetic for ore, decent damage and swing speed, good chance to cause bleeding.
    Hatchet - Best for wood, average for corpses and ore, decent damage, slower swing speed.
    Pick-axe - Best for ore, average for wood, pathetic for corpses, high damage, low swing speed.

Now, we add material quality in the form of wood/stone/metal, assuming one matches the right tool to the right node:
Wood - Harvests less materials per swing, seldom harvest the rarer resources from a node, and only gets about 35-50% of a node’s total resource. Lowest durability, heavy durability loss when used on wrong nodes.
Stone - More material per swing, average chance at getting rarer resources, 50-100% node resource obtained. Middle durability, medium durability loss when used on wrong nodes.
Metal - Best material per swing, still average chance at rarer resources but 90-125% of node resource obtained. Highest durability, loses the least when used on the wrong nodes.
As a note: For ores gathering, Wood Hammer -> Stone Hammer -> Pick-Axe

There is simply no point in traps, whatever trap you come up with, I’m just going to put a sleeping bag outside your house before I go in. It sounds like a good idea, but will have no value except wasted resources, unless the trap consumes all the players items as well. Agree with the name tags on friends from far away. They just need to make C4 more accessible (anyone can research it) but more expensive across the board and/or less effective (more C4 per wall etc). Needing the “explosives” tech which is plane drop only is a bit ridiculous.

I really should just add the “suggestion” of a durability system but I find it very, very hard to believe that’s not in the pipeline somewhere. Even then, you’re not accounting for the time the traps would waste for raiders due to waiting for the sleeping bag timer to finish. Not to mention that there’s going to be those who miscount the time elapsed and end up getting blown up and respawning half-way across the map.

Then there’s just the abject hilarity of bases being built just to serve as bait. I’d actually build one that’s 90% traps, at minimum.

I just posted in another thread about being able to craft a compass (not a map). But after reading here I got another great idea (yes, I am very humble).How about you you need paper to draw a map (pretty self explanatory, and of course a workbench to draw it on). So after you are done running around in the world (farming or what ever), you can get back to your base and actually draw a map of what you have just seen. So if someone builds a new house in your area, you have to be within a certain range to draw it. And of course, if you die you loose all knowledge of what you have seen since you last drew on your map.

A few more suggestions I thought of:

Notebooks: When i say this I mean as in you can write a note on paper and leave it somewhere for people to read, you could either fuck with peoples minds or leave help messages or whatever. For EG: “Aid provided 200M West, Free food and Wood” - People pass something like this and may choose to acknowledge it.

Gas and Oil: I don’t think this is In the game and if it is I haven’t seen it. Add these so you could have Gas lamps in your houses or Oil powered machinery. This would open up more doors for rust without really ruining the survival aspect.

Recognised names in Chat: I think that if a player is recognised as a Steam Friend they should eb another colour in the chat such as blue so you don’t ignore them or when you meet players you have the option to “Recognise” and add them to the list.

Snow on the mountain tops: I feel this should be added as it adds a realism aspect and also, i think that this should be dealt with in the way that no more naked men can be on top of freezing mountins for very long without freezing. This would give the “Cold” feature some more use, and if they are wearing clothes they can go up there.

Lakes and Streams: Rust really lacks these, and I think if they where added people could go collect water from them after disinfecting it or whatever and drink it, adding a thrist meter to Rust adding more survival features.

If we have lakes and streams why not Fishing: If there where some nice variations of animation and fish this could work really welland be sooo interesting, it beats chasing around a bear.

I will upload any more ideas that spring to mind later.

[editline]31st December 2013[/editline]

Plus just need to add it in there… Lakes and Rivers no matter what the game have amazing scenery.

List Updated