Rust, hard to settle in? Let's find a solution

I’m not sure how everyone else feels, I love this game. But it seems that every time I get settled in a server, something goes horribly wrong and I have to switch servers which utterly destroys my gaming experiences. I don’t mind restarting every 2-3 weeks, but I find myself having to restart almost every 2-3 days. I then lost many friends that play as well because they get tired of restarting, or attempting to find a good server.

Here are the list of the reasons I had to leave previous servers:

1. Admin abuse (spawning stuff or something silly)
  2. Killing the admin
  3. Server got Ddosed
  4. Population all left
  5. Hackers destroyed everything
  6. Forced wipe
  7. Server files got corrupt
  8. Banned for “hacking”
  9. No active admins (hackers ruin server)

Now, I don’t mind re-starting once in a while, but I’m having a REALLY hard time settling in somewhere, and oddly enough I really can’t play on an official server because of the rampant hacking, so I have to play on a community or modded server. It seems like no admin have good ethics unfortunately.

So my question is, how can we fix most of these issues? Here are my suggestions.

1. Admin abuse (spawning stuff or something silly)
    -We could add servers where spawning stuff is disabled. Seriously, apart from admin + ban stick, its not really needed. For those who wish to create arenas, abandoned houses, directional waypoints, etc… we could add a “public spawn list”. I can only assume this would be done using a mod + some form of webpage.

2. Killing the admin
    -Well, not much we can do about this. His server, my time.

3. Server got Ddosed
    -Again, not much we can do about this… unless we purchase a 100 gbit Ddos protection datacenter which hosts all of the rust servers. Giving out server files could result in a better hosting experience if you find a good datacenter with Ddos protection strong enough.

4. Population all left
    -There is just plainly too many servers out there. I would personally like to see the price of the server rise, for better hardware, less lag and a better gaming experience. A server can hold up to 200 people, do we really care if we pay even 100 dollars a month?

5. Hackers destroyed everything
    -community banlist?

6. Forced wipe
    -alpha things, but some of it come from corrupted save files and lag… again probably alpha related. (hope it gets fixed XD)

7. Server files got corrupt
    -see #6

8. Banned for “hacking”
    -What I do think would be a good idea would be a community ban list of known confirmed cheaters, where videos are recorded as proof which include the Seam uID. Admins of servers with a good reputation would be advertised on this website, servers can be rated by players. Infractions from admins could result in a “black mark” so people would know if the server is worth playing on.

9. No active admins (hackers ruin server)
    -See the banlist idea, if we get this going correctly, we could auto upload bans to other servers as well.

I’d really like to hear from other people how they would fix some of these issues, and if I should add more reasons why you had to find another server.

Edit: please no “this is an alpha” post. This IS an alpha, and we are here to test and make sure the game gets attention where its needed.

At this moment, anyone claiming to have a good (affordable) solution to a DDOS attack has no knowledge about it.

indeed, its protection against something small like 1-10 gbps. That is something VERY easily obtained for a Ddos kiddy (look at hackforums…). Which is why servers need to cost more. It’s great that everyone and their moms can get a server for 20$ currently, but it does not provide a stable gaming experience, which is what people want and need to have fun.

Not exactly what I meant :wink: My point is, if you want a server provider capable if withstanding something like 100Gb/s DDOS attacks, you’re probably looking up to paying $500,- per month. That is if they host multiple servers behind one protection. Getting your private DDOS protection would out off the question, cost-wise.

And that is in the traditional sense of a DDOS. They are a lot of other techniques, spamming RCON connections for example, it looks like normal admin traffic. So how do you combat that? The list goes on and on.

nfoservers.com does any scale ddos protection for free. the problem is we are stuck with these horrible providers until gary lets other better providers jump in.

Not everyone can organize 100Gb/s attack. Maybe only wars between server hosting companies.

The whole concept of DDOS is that it is distributed (hence, the name). This means that the attack comes from a whole range of IP addresses all giving some traffic. There is no place that sends the whole 100Gb/s, but that does not stop it from arriving at the victim :slight_smile:

it is a really bad issues;you just need to find the perfect server.
Don’t use official severs

tankton,

Friends of mine and I have been having similar issues, we’ve decided to rent our own server to admin to avoid all of this.

Visit JDSplayrust.com for details.

We don’t spawn things in, you can kill us if you want (part of the game? Don’t know why that would upset someone) and we do our best to keep it fun for everyone.

We’re just starting up so it’s low pop right now but we’re getting bigger.

There’s also another great server admin’d by my clan: clan.canadaka.ca that you can play on, that one requires you to join the steam group as it runs on a whitelist, so hackers are almost non-existent from what I hear.

Good luck, and I hope you find that perfect server!

whitelist?

Yeah, as an admin, you give the server config the steam id’s of the players you allow on the server.

Then when anyone else tries to join they can’t. It’s pretty effective at getting rid of hackers as is it limits who you allow on your server and you can easier control what’s going on as they’re all in your steam group.

Whitelisting is good to stop blatant hackers, but wont stop the esp hackers or triggerbot hackers for the most part unfortunately.