I asked this question long ago on Steam, for the old version, and I ask it again for this new one. I know the branch is still in experimental, early state but I feel like the moment where it must be decided which way Rust will take is approaching. So, even if it is sandbox (which means almost total freedom, no fixed objectives), I still believe, imho, that this game must have a cool, original background story (how it all began, why this and why that), corresponding playing environment and conditions (immersive world, survival mode, interactions with other players) that will make it stand out from other sandbox games and a progressive experience (not just doing the same every time you start playing).
From all these 3 points of view, which features do you think Rust must outline and what kind of world should this amazing team of developers () create for us?
1. Shipwrecked, on an island, Bear Grylls or Naked and Afraid individual survival mode (PVE and PVP), manage to stay alive day by day
2. Convicted people are thrown on an isolate island (like in “The Condemned”, “No Escape”, “The Hunger Games”) and must survive, specially by fighting against other unfortunates like you
3. Post-apocalyptic, post-war era, people trying to re-build society (PVE, PVP, COOP), create tribes, cities, civilizations with rules and big communities with common interests
4. Apocalyptic times (failed experiments, wicked world doomed), with zombies and mutants, where players are encouraged to cooperate against the outside danger. Worst of all is you becoming a zombie becuase you got infected and then you will have to survive by eating other players’ brains.
5. Paradise world versus Hell on Earth, LOTR style: build create and protect peaceful communities against dark forces. Choose your side
6. Nature lovers. Try to survive and coexist with nature like in the old good times. Dinosaurs and other ferocious beasts walk among the face of the Earth and you must learn how to tame, hunt and protect yourself. Caves are the most wanted things in the world, as they offer maximum protection.
7. No story, no objective, PVE, PVP, COOP, kill, loot, build, kill, loot, build. You are thrown into the world, don’t know how things got to this point (all mistery) but must survive and find (or make up) the answers too all the questions and a purpose for your life
8. A little bit of everything. Divide the world into areas for each one of these (or even mix them, where possible) and let players choose their place and story. Servers owners can choose what type of game they will host
9. I have a better idea (tell me, tell me)
10. Nothing, this game is a failure.