S&Box FAQ

For more general info on the game and various other aspects, see this thread.

Questions have been divided into different categories to improve navigation, click on any of the section titles to expand/shrink the category.

General info

Q: What is “S&box”?

A: https://sbox.facepunch.com/about/

Q: When is the next blog post?

A: The monthly blog posts are usually published somewhere in or around the last week of the month though the actual time and day of the week can vary. If you want to be notified when one goes live you can use the RSS feed available on the website.

Q: Is there a release date? What about early access?

A: “The aim is to give some people access in the first half of 2021, and give everyone else access in the second half of 2021.”

Q: Garry mentioned in the March blog post that he’ll be giving out some keys this month, where can I get one and when?

A: Keys are being given out by Garry as he sees fit, we don’t know what criteria is being used but the majority of people have taken to posting anything and everything they’ve done with regards to s&box (gamemode ideas, models, maps) on the forums in the hopes of being seen.

Q: What platforms will be supported?

A: 2020-11-28_03-31-15
A: 2020-11-28_03-30-00

The game will not be available on Mac at all. Dedicated servers be able to run on Linux but no game client will be available for it.

Q: How much will the game cost?

A: We don’t know and probably won’t know until the game is made available to the public.

Game info

Q: What engine does the game use?

A: 2020-11-28_03-23-24

A version of Source 2 based on the Half-Life: Alyx branch of the engine. Early development was done on Unreal Engine 4 but this has since been discontinued.

Q: How many players can the game handle? What about map sizes?

A: image

At the moment both player and map size limits are the same as Source 1 (128 players and a max map size of 32768^3 units) but these limits are planned to be increased. This is not an easy process though.

Q: Is level streaming possible?

A: Maybe? The world itself isn’t as immutable as it was in source 1 and while Half-Life: Alyx did contain a (albeit unfinished) system for loading/unloading levels at runtime there hasn’t been any word on it being a feature included by default.

Q: Will sandbox support VR?

A: 2021-03-10_23-03-45
A: 2021-03-10_23-04-00

VR support is something they want to add at some point, it just isn’t very high in terms of priority.

Q: How will the multiplayer work? Can we connect via P2P?

A: 2020-11-29_14-31-44

From the sound of it the game will feature Steam Networking, which implies P2P support.

Q: Will we be able to mount games like we can in Garry’s Mod?

A: 2020-11-30_03-28-58
A: 2020-11-30_03-29-10
A: 2020-11-30_03-29-19

Q: What style will the game use?

There are likely going to be multiple styles shipped with the game, including at least one ‘realistic’ and one cartoonish. Not including any other styles added by people through the workshop.

Content creation

Q: What tools will ship with the game?

A: The game includes Hammer, SFM, ModelDoc and a bunch of other tools that are meant to be used alongside it.

Q: Can we port over Source 1 content?

A:

Both Source and GoldSrc models will be able to be imported directly into ModelDoc.

Q: Will the game use the Steam workshop?

A: Yes but the game will support multiple hosting methods. On top of using the workshop you’ll be able to host them using Github or Facepunch’s own hosting service. The game will automatically determine where to download your addon from.

Q: What is this s&dev page about?

A: Gamemodes and maps will be able to be registered using Facepunch’s own backend which the game uses to show what maps/gamemodes exist in-game. Groups of content creators will be able to create/edit content under a single organization and configure various options like the type of release, summary/description and artwork.

Q: What language is being used to make addons?

A: Addon/gamemode creation will done using C# with UI styling done through CSS.

Q: I want to keep my gamemode source private, is this possible with the new backend?

A: 2021-04-07_00-32-28

Since code is always downloaded directly from the server instead of an external source you’ll be able to just omit the code from your upload and keep it in a separate private repository. This won’t stop people from decompiling the code that gets sent to them by the server though, nothing will really.

Q: Can I move over existing Garry’s Mod addons to S&Box?

A: No. Assets may be ported but code will have to rewritten entirely. There is no official glua support planned and wouldn’t be possible anyways because of differences in how almost everything is handled.

Q: Is the game going to ship with some kind of database adapter for MySQL or the like?

A: 2021-04-07_00-27-21

There have been talks about including some embedded database similar to how Garry’s Mod features SQLite but nothing concrete. For external databases you’ll want to set up a web API instead.

Q: Will we be able to monetize our servers/addons?

A: People will be allowed to monetise their content however they want.

Q: How will X work?

A: For info on various systems you can check out the official wiki and the monthly blog posts. If it’s not listed there then we probably don’t know in detail yet.

42 Likes

Looks like threads tagged as resources can be freely edited by other members so I’ve added some more questions/answers and tried to pretty things up a bit.

8 Likes

God damn 500 players servers like in Minecraft or Rust, that’s amazing and sounds like a wet dream. Just imagine some sort of RPG survival game mode or some sort of blocky game in Sandbox, or even a goddamn Darkrp server with 500 members, the more I know about the project the more I am hyped!

2 Likes

Great work thankyou!!

I will keep digging for some more answers to commonly asked questions

500 players sound good, but I don’t think any server can handle this, especially with many addons or them spamming props, etc.
Also, I don’t think that Source 2 is that well optimized for that many entities. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an advanced game with more than about 150 players on one single server.

1 Like

Mavericks Proving grounds had at one point over 300 player on a single server. and it was running fine due to Spatial OS. Sadly the game was cancelled during development, otherwise we would had a 1000 player battleroyal at this time :frowning:

1 Like

This really isn’t the thread to start discussing things in, please try to keep it about the FAQ itself.

1 Like

In source engine no, but outside source engine there are some games that can pull over 150 players. for example Rust?

1 Like

I’m an amateur C# coder but I want to attempt to make addons for this game. Should I apply? I don’t want to commit to some huge expectation or anything like that, but I’d like to do what I can alongside my job and use it as a way to learn more C#.

2 Likes

If you are not agreeing to expectations about having to deliver something or other upon applying, there is no reason not to apply.

Just state your case as an amateur C# coder and how you being included could be of some help to the development. The worse that can happen is you not being accepted

1 Like

What does “early access for content creators” mean? Does this mean creating strictly public content/addons for the workshop? Or can this mean creating servers with custom/private gamemode and models etc. I am interested in making a roleplay server from scratch, from the code, models, vehicles, even to the map and would love to join this program if it would allow me to do this with a friend. A head start would be fabulous.

1 Like

If you’re applying to get a head start on competition I think you’d be applying for the wrong reasons, but you don’t get hurt by trying I guess. Here’s my opinion:

S&Box is pretty much a clean slate of content, with it being likely that the people that get early access will be developing the “first wave” and even provide feedback on how development went or any unfriendly/missing features. Think about what you want to bring to the table, and more importantly how it will enrich the game as a WHOLE.

I’m not sure who will be let in or why but regardless it’s going to be based on the NEEDS of the game. If it needs levels, bring in level designers. Needs assets? Gamemodes? etc. There are already some amazing content creators posting things on these forums / discord ( not to mention the Poly Strike development ), and only garry / the FP team really knows what’s going to happen, but not killing the game in the crib is probably the highest priority.

You want to attract not only developers, but a player base as well. Garry’s Mod has a lot of freedom, coupled with a decade and a half of content building on it. Apply for whatever reason you want, but understand and curb your expectation.

1 Like

Just letting people know that this is still being updated/maintained. Updated some questions about early access in response to the latest blog post.

7 Likes

Is it also possible to port over half life alyx content to s&box? With model doc?

ModelDoc does have the option to import models from ‘older’ versions of Source 2 as far as I know, so yes that should be possible.

Wow ok so i can basically port half life alyx content over to model doc and upload it to steam workshop. Thanks for your reply

No, that’s against the TOS as it breaks copyright. Don’t.

2 Likes

Ok we’ll then i’ll just see what i can do like maybe use it just for myself and not on any server

Do we have any information on how AI/NPCs will be implemented, if at all? One of the things I have already begun working on for S&box does include animated creatures and I am trying to figure out if I should begin working on AnimGraphs for them. Based on what I’ve read about the PlayerAnimator class and its implementation, I’m assuming AnimGraphs for other animated things would be well-connected with my code. The only uncertainties I have at the moment stem from Valve’s existing documentation on AnimGraph which revolves primarily around generic_actor entities (leading me to question how much of AnimGraph’s character manipulation features would actually be useable).

We haven’t heard anything about NPC’s so far no. The closest thing we’ve got is Garry messing around with some NavMesh stuff and bots, which are just players without a player to play them.

1 Like