S&box WAYWO June 2021

Thought I’d create a thread since, nobody’s made one yet. Can’t wait to see what you guys are making this month :blush:.

3 Likes

15 Likes

Here we go again…
Next update to sb_mobenix. Made this area under glass and started making storage room/basement (idk what its called) under area 1. Also changed approach: started using dev textures from now on. Its easier, than texturing and detailing it at the same time.

5 Likes

taking a break from my mall project and working on something else this month. working with lotz of curves and bumps to give some depth to the geometry.

3 Likes

NavMesh basics

17 Likes

Which pathfinding algorithm are you using? I only ever used A* and that was horrifying.

1 Like

Already posted these in the discord before, but here’s an island map I’ve been working on for fun. From old to new:

9 Likes

Was your last post really four months ago? I feel like I saw this map quite recently.

1 Like

This reminds me of the Cayo Perico heist from GTA Online with the airstrip, communications tower on the island

1 Like

For the mesh displacements, did you keep the whole island as one mesh?

I’m running into an issue with “sewing” meshes together. The only way I can get displacements to line up properly is if all the meshes are merged together.

1 Like

One giant mesh is an issue if you want occluded VIS groups to hide parts of it. Usually I just keep the displacements sewn while I’m working and separate them into individual meshes afterward.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that cause issues with the vertex painting textures onto terrain (Source’s blend textures)? The blending wouldn’t be smooth at the edges of the two meshes as opposed to a smooth transition when you have them combined.

Like I said, I already posted this in the discord earlier.

Yeah, the terrain is one big mesh. Merging edges is the only reliable way to sew displacements together, from what I can tell. You can always split them again afterwards, but I don’t know if that could lead to visual cracks between the faces.

I’ve heard people say this before, but it seems to work fine for me? The prop_static cliff in the background does get culled/rendered in its entirety, but with Hammer geometry it happens on a per-triangle basis even though it’s a single mesh:

6 Likes

ok wtf I tested the exact same thing in one of my maps last week and it most certainly did not go by triangles, not even for separate meshes.

2 Likes

4 Likes

When the map compiles, geometry gets split up into chunks

3 Likes

If you bake the prop_static to world, it should get culled like the hammer geo. I think the only “hidden” reason you’d need to split up meshes is for cubemaps. One cubemap is used by an entire mesh.

1 Like

So I’ve got a random Gmod HUD from like 2012 (sort-of) running in s&box.

Edit: Worked out scaling issues!

4 Likes

What do you mean “basics”??
This could be a whole game in and of itself!

1 Like

Hi I am still slowly working my terry themed hla mod. Recently I’ve been decorating the level. I’ve also made some custom overlays and skins.

3 Likes