S&Box's Release Maps

One thing that intrigues me quite a lot is the first set of maps that will be available when the game releases, as they’re a very important aspect when it comes to giving a game like this personality. I mean, if you’ve ever played any Source game there’s a big chance you have played on gm_construct or gm_flatgrass, or have at least heard of them, they’re the place where many videos and animations were made back in the day, and they are pretty fondly remembered to this day, specially construct, and i don’t see these ones being the exception when the game is released. With that being said, how do you guys think the new map or maps will look like?

I sure do hope they have the charm construct has

3 Likes

Construct and Flatgrass are famous because they’re classics. Whatever the map is gonna look like I’m sure it’ll climb up the ranks

A nice balance of scenic and building

1 Like

I sure hope they are iconic. I know the map that they post images and videos of their progress is definitely going to be iconic (if it isn’t already) considering how basic and development-based it looks. I doubt they’ll release it for everyone considering it doesn’t look too consumer-friendly, but I hope they do for nostalgic taste.

1 Like

Construct wasn’t always what it looks like now, sometimes you need a test bed and build from there

6 Likes

It would be great if this map could be improved again to make it maybe a little more detailed and/or larger.

2 Likes

New game - new maps. Maximum, transfer the classics to Workshop.

2 Likes

While everyone loves construct, I would be disappointed if it’s staying around as a default. S&box can have much better maps, and I feel limiting the base maps to default source 1 constraints isn’t going to do it justice. (and I think that most of the hype at this point is just nostalgia)

I don’t know if facepunch actually has any dedicated mappers, but some of the development maps are obviously tailored to specific play styles, and I’m exited to see the awesome maps early-access players will make.

I also suspect that Garry will have the map limits expanded before full release, so who knows? We might have the awesome city map as a default

4 Likes

The default sandbox map won’t be a whole city, imo. The majority of people don’t need a realistic setting, they just need, well, a sandbox. Which is why construct is mostly open areas, and flatgrass is simply an open area. Construct worked well because it had different zones: illuminated areas, dark areas, indoors, outdoors, water, etc. It was like a playground where everything was close together. I assume it’ll be a similar map.

4 Likes

It will be interesting indeed, I’m sure there will be some variation shown soon.

1 Like

Yeah, if there will be a default map, I rather see it as a map that explores well the limits of S&Box/Source 2 instead of a gm_construct remaster or something.

2 Likes

I can imagine a map with a day night cycle built in, I wonder if this will be a setting in the context menu or something.

2 Likes

Man, that just makes me so excited for S&Box. I can’t wait to see how big and detailed the maps will look especially with a day & night cycle.

2 Likes