SB Extinction

Hello readers. Infested here. I just wanted to tell the community about a map I started probably last week. Thats like, March 8th or something like that. Anyways, this map is still in its early stages of production. It shouldn’t take too long. I’m already done the rough details like hills, buildings, lakes, any of that large stuff. I’m now on to getting it to work. I seem to have a crash and am trying to find out why. I sort of know why, when I read over the compile log, it says that $basetexture (or something similar) “space_01t” does not exist? Thats what I remember. Anyways it says it could not compile. So I reset it to defaults and now the default skybox is glitching out. (typical hammer) So I’m hoping there’s someone out there who can possibly help. But other than that, this thread is where I will post updates about the map.

I will have some screenies up shortly as soon as I figure out how…

EDIT: Ok forget about all this mumbo jumbo. It was just me confused and posting a thread at 2:30 in the morning. The map is 99% complete. We’re just setting up a couple more lights and makign the map run vis faster. Skip all trhe error posts if you want and take a look at some of the pictures pyromaniac has taken. Notice the blue sun. =)
We will be releasing the map no later than the afternoon of Tuesday March 22nd 2009.

Don’t create a thread about a map just to say you started making one. Also, can you be a little less vague about your problems; “My map is crashing” isn’t going to help us help you. Post compile logs.

Yeah I know. Its 2:30am and I’ve been working on this thing all week. I finally figured out how to install the planet models about 15 minutes ago. Ill get the log for you in a bit. It takes a bit to compile. I’m new to facepunch so can you help me figure out how to add screenies? And the map is half done. It has what it needs, all it needs now is detail. And SB2 and 3 compaibility.

I just got the log now so here it is.

** Executing…
** Command: “d:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “d:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp” “D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2mp\mapsrc\sb_extinctionBETA1”

My map is crashing as in i start up the map in gmod and as soon as is finishes loading it crashes.

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006)
1 threads
materialPath: d:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\materials
Loading D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2mp\mapsrc\sb_extinctionBETA1.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (4)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (2)
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
Chop Details…done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides…
Merged 60 detail faces…done (0)
Merging details…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (1)
writing D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2mp\mapsrc\sb_extinctionBETA1.prt…done (1)
Creating default cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_space*.vmt
Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.

No such variable “$hdrbasetexture” for material “skybox/sky_spacert”
Can’t load skybox file skybox/sky_space to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors…
Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges.
Warning: overflowed 60 displacement corner-neighbor lists.Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Building Physics collision data…
done (2) (170306 bytes)
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/moon.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/desolation.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/frosty.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/maldoran.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/toxic.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/desperation.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/dusty.mdl”!
Placing detail props : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Water found with no water_lod_control entity, creating a default one.
Compacting texture/material tables…
Reduced 1199 texinfos to 370
Reduced 46 texdatas to 40 (1655 bytes to 1436)
Writing D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2mp\mapsrc\sb_extinctionBETA1.bsp
1 minute, 29 seconds elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2mp\mapsrc\sb_extinctionBETA1.bsp” “d:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\sb_extinctionBETA1.bsp”

Displacement overflow. You either have displacements that are ridiculously large (bigger than 4096x4096) or too many displacements in general.

Either you’re using a broken model, a model used in the wrong context (a prop_physics as a prop_static) or a model that doesn’t exist. If you’re trying to use models in a map from an addon pack, it’s not going to work. You need to directly extract the models / textures to the Gmod folder.

Not to mention you aren’t running VVIS or VRAD.

Ok but what about the skyboc cubemap thing

No such variable “$hdrbasetexture” for material “skybox/sky_spacert”
Can’t load skybox file skybox/sky_space to build the default cubemap!

And I’m guessing I need to run VIS? RAD is lights and takes forever to compile. Especially on my computer.

One more thing. How do I add pics?

To fix the “$hdrbasetexture” for material “skybox/sky_spacert” thing, make sure the skybox is no “sky_spacert”, it must be “sky_space”

Arrgh. Hammer is getting on my nerves… again. Ok this is what I put in the skybox thing in map properties.

starbox_

I now have a different error about the cubemap skybox thing.

Creating default cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/starbox_*.vmt
Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.

No such variable “$hdrbasetexture” for material “skybox/starbox_rt”
Can’t load skybox file skybox/starbox_ to build the default cubemap!

I also am trying to figure out my model error:
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/desolation.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/frosty.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/maldoran.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/toxic.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/desperation.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “models/bynari/dusty.mdl”!

I took the models for that and directly put them in these folders:
sourcesdk_content/hl2mp/modelssrc
sourcesdk_content/hl2mp/models
half-life 2 deathmatch/hl2mp/models
garrysmod/garrysmod/models

EDIT: I fixed the model rpoblem. It seems that they are prop_dynamic. But the skybox is still bugging me. It does the same error for the default skybox. grrr

Is the skybox giving you a hall of mirrors? If not, there aint nothin you can do bout it. Its an error that shows up on just about all skyboxes, but doesnt matter.

If you named it “starbox_” as you say, then it won’t work, rename it “starbox”.

I honestly have no clue. I start up a singleplayer with the map and as soon as it finishes loading I get a memory could not be read error. I have no clue why but it heppens when I get this skybox error.

I tried that. The skybox file is starbox_* (* being up,dn,rt,lt,etc) I looked up the error on google and it seens that the map shouldnt crash at all. But heres the crash. I start up gm (garrysmod 10 by the way), I go into single player, I select my map, I start the game, it does its little thing for loading, and right when the map should load, it crashes with a big long error that ends with Memory could not be read! Thats my problem. Everything else is fine.

EDIT: I can send you the BSP and the VMF if you want.

Yeah lemme have a look at it… i’ll fix it.

I know that, remove the “_” and/or and of the rt,up,dn things.

Ok I have absolute no clue what I did but it works now for some odd reason. I’m moving on to detailing. thanks for your uhh support.

Here’s some pics of the map upcoming:

http://g.imagehost.org/0163/hl2_2009-03-22_10-19-45-38.jpg

http://g.imagehost.org/0198/hl2_2009-03-22_10-18-25-24.jpg

http://g.imagehost.org/0678/hl2_2009-03-22_10-20-33-21.jpg

http://g.imagehost.org/0733/hl2_2009-03-22_10-21-54-45.jpg

http://g.imagehost.org/0353/hl2_2009-03-22_10-22-14-90.jpg

Enjoy,

I feel this map deserves another look over cause of the reviews my buds gave me, no clue if they were for real or just to be nice but whatever…

Well then, post some screenies that are not from March. :v:

Well i don’t see why cause those are up to date pictures.

Hes not saying he made it better. Hes saying he got some friends to play it and they said it was awesome, so he thinks our opinions might have change.