Scripting the Editor Tools

Is it ever going to be possible to script the editor tools? Hammer, ModelDoc, etc with custom importers and scripting functionality? This would make automating some tedious tasks easier I imagine for level designers and would allow for more flexibility across the board. It would also allow people to import things in other formats. For instance, using Quake 3 map files in the hammer editor. I understand however if this is not feasible,

2 Likes

Maybe yes or no :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Mind explaining what this reply is supposed to add to the discussion, lol?

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Possibly or not, perhaps. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Perchance that could be the case, might also be the opposite :man_shrugging:

1 Like

My apologies, this was likely better in the suggestions and feedback. My apologies for bringing it here…

1 Like

They were responding to the comment that just said “Maybe yes or no”.

As for scripting editor tools, I would love to have real time importers, and an actual in-game map editor for cooperative map making. I can see a ton of automation potential on the asset setup side, and hammer already has an excellent prefab system. It would also be great if we’re able to distribute prefabs that people can just download like addons.

3 Likes

I would think that having those importers able to be used in Hammer too as well so that we can compile the map ahead of time and have it perform better would still be a pretty good idea. The two are not mutually exclusive IMO. I do agree with your sentiment overall

2 Likes

Yeah didn’t mean that at you, it was aimed at:

Maybe yes or no :man_shrugging:

I keep forgetting to reply to individual people rather than replying to the whole thread

1 Like

My apologies then. What is your opinion on it out of curiosity? I honestly should have taken this to Suggestions and Feedback but thought that was more for discourse and not for stuff like this…

1 Like

iirc garry wants you to be able to import custom model formats straight into the game without modeldoc. or maybe he’s changed his vision, but i think he still wants you to be able to easily import stuff (even maps from other games)

1 Like

Seems like he changed his view and now prefers Modeldoc.

2 Likes

I hope @layla is still on the track of squeezing out as much as possible from the ability to generate game assets and objects on the fly via code. We don’t even need shipped parsers for some popular formats or whatever, the ability to write and use them on our own would already be a win.

3 Likes

He actually prefers modeldoc be the solution, that being said Layla wants to make importing custom assets at runtime to still be a thing. So thanks to him it might still get realized.

1 Like