Semicolon

Should I place semicolon after every line of Lua code? Does it increase speed or makes anything else better, or it does nothing more than increasing file size? Currently I code in Lua without semicolon, and my code works fine.

Semicolon does not have any effect, i think. I did not experience any difference when I used it, and not.
But maybe it does, since Kuro/Somescripter (maker of OpenAura) uses it all the time in his script.

It’s a good question though, I’ve wondered about this a while.

As far as i know it doesn’t do anything. The only reason i use it is to stay in the habit for other languages.

Exactly the reason it’s there. Pure Lua itself doesn’t use the semicolon for anything and thus would throw out a syntax error if it were to be placed outside of a string.

Semicolons are supported in vanilla Lua as well. But just like you said, it’s purely optional and a personal choice.
(But screw anyone who uses them in Lua, it doesn’t belong there, just like garry’s C-style additions

http://www.facepunch.com/fp/emoot/colbert.gif

)

Is semicolon required for separating functions in the same line of code, or you can separate them with spaces?

Not required at all.

I do it just because I learned other programming languages that way.

It doesn’t really matter.

[editline]25th November 2011[/editline]

I’d say that doing it is a better habit than not doing it.

[editline]25th November 2011[/editline]

And I think it makes the code more readable.

How about not making either of them a habit? Instead, make a habit of using the language’s proper syntax.

Only reason I use it is because I use it in PHP, so it’s more of a habit

You should find your own coding style so you can code quickly and efficient without thinking about syntax with every line you write.

So do you write every language with C-style syntax? If you have to think about the syntax while you’re writing, you clearly don’t actually know the language.
I actually learn the languages I’m writing so I don’t have to think about the syntax at all. The only problems I face are if I’m either only learning the language or haven’t used it for a while.

And even then once you’re rolling with the language again it comes back pretty quick. I tend to find that good use of tabbing (and brackets where applicable for certain languages) can make any piece of code easily readable.

I don’t know the language?
I have done GLua since 2006, I know how things work.

If you do something a lot you will automatically develop these habits and your own coding style.

Judging by your defensive answer you didn’t actually read my post, so how about doing that, then continue reading this.
If you still don’t want to read it: I addressed your point of “using semicolons is a better habit than not using”. In your counter-point you say that I have to think about the syntax every line I write. “If you have to think about the syntax while you’re writing, you clearly don’t actually know the language.”
I never said anything about your knowledge of languages. Unless you just admitted that you have to think about Lua’s syntax every line you write.

And my own coding style? I base it on the language’s syntax. Language’s syntax is always the base because it’s a set of static rules the language operates by; your coding style shouldn’t affect the operation of the language at all. Sure, if you find you like semicolons in Lua, go ahead and use them. But don’t make it a habit because semicolons are a part of the syntax, not every language supports them.

So, your first point? Why should I make using or not using semicolons a habit? If I make it a habit, I’ll have trouble with languages that use different syntax. I’d much rather make an effort to learn the language’s syntax and not use the language based on some arbitrary habits I have.

That would work if you’re not going to learn any other languages.

I have no idea which point you’re addressing, so let’s do it this way.

Coding style: [sp]Am I only allowed to have one coding style? Languages look different and I have different ideas on what looks good for each one. I have no problems switching between languages as long as I still remember it. Lua is verbose and simple, so I use keep it that way: I don’t spare whitespace and I keep my variable names clear. Ruby on the other hand is a bit more versatile, more compact and has more implicit syntax: not as much whitespace, tabs are two space, but I still use more descriptive variables because I like reading the code quickly. And so on.[/sp]
Learning language’s syntax: [sp]What’s the problem here? I have no trouble remember the syntax for multiple languages, as long as I use them a bit. (Standard libraries are a whole different thing, though). I don’t need bad habits in order to get the syntax right.[/sp]