sequencing players

trying to make an entity that changes your sequence, I tried this but got no success and I dont know why exactly:

function playersequence(ply)
	local sequence = ply:LookupSequence("injured3")
    ply:SetSequence(sequence)

end

function ENT:Use( activator, caller )
	if IsValid( caller ) and caller:IsPlayer() then
		hook.Add("CalcMainActivity", "playerseq", playersequence)
	end
end

I’ve used CalcMainActivity the way I tought it was best, I placed prints in my custom function to see if it works and it gladly does but it doesnt change my sequence?

CalcMainActivity uses returns to set the sequence: https://github.com/Facepunch/garrysmod/blob/03b82174f0884b60d6c1fa4a9a25e55b500ffb27/garrysmod/gamemodes/base/gamemode/animations.lua#L311

I dont quite understand what to do now? Do I need to set sequence in the arguement and use the hook to set it ?

You have to return your activity and sequence in the hook if you want to see any changes.

so to my understanding, this is how its supposed to be?

function ENT:Use( activator, caller )
	if IsValid( caller ) and caller:IsPlayer() then
		hook.Add("CalcMainActivity", "playerseq", function(ply, seq)
			local caller = ply
			local seq = ply:LookupSequence("injured3")
	        return 
   				   ply:SetSequence(seq)

end)
	end
end

No, you are just returning the SetSequence call, which returns nothing. You should be returning the activity enum and sequence number - you shouldn’t be calling SetSequence at all.

[editline]17th October 2017[/editline]

You’ll also have to check if the provided player is the caller (if (ply == caller) then). Lastly, you’ll probably have to network it to the local client in question so they see the changes locally.