Serious FPS issues.

I bought this game yesterday, despite having issues trying to connect to servers on my friend’s account, though he had none. (Double clicking servers wouldn’t join, and I had to connect using console “net.connect ‘ipaddress’”)

My fps in-game is around 2-4. I’ve turned off grass, shadows, and everything else I can think of to increase performance, but it doesn’t help much. (6-8 fps at that point.)

I understand the game is in Alpha, and probably not optimized as much as it plans to be, but the Steam page says I’m capable of running it just fine; I’m not.

Specs:
Processor: AMD Turion™ II p540 Dual-Core Processor, ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX: Version 11
(It’s a laptop.)

Any ideas on how to improve performance, or a “guarantee” that this game will be playable (even at 20fps, I’m not that picky) at some point?
If not, is there any way I could get a refund?
The premise of the game is nice, and I even managed to play an hour with the VERY poor fps I was having (Lots of dying, though.)

Thanks.

A simple fix is to try “grass.on false” in the console…
I doubt you’ll be able to get a refund, Steam is rather persistent on their “no refunds” thing. No worries though, I’m sure with further testing and optimization this will become a thing of the past.

I’ve done that, only brings my FPS up about 3-4 more than normal.

Damn… I figured you’d already tried that… Your specs are similar to mine on terms of raw power, but who knows… Maybe updated drivers?

What’s your GPU? You didn’t list it.

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

try grass.displacement false
might help a little

I’m running at around 12 fps now, still unplayable as far as performance.

Outdated GPU. I tried Rust on my laptop with that GPU, and it doesn’t even open the servers. Laptops aren’t for gaming, consider upgrading to an ultrabook or desktop